Hallo from Bloemfontein, South Africa

Welcome from another Saffer, from Hillcrest, near Durban. I lived in Cape Town for some years and stated my shipbuilding there, and had the privilege of meeting Bob Lightley a few times.
If you're looking to buy a model kit there's a superb place in Menlyn, in Pretoria.
I'm currently on my 6th model, namely the Victory ... should keep me busy for the next few years.

Hallo Heinrich. Thank you gor your message. Yes I am really looking forward to my first build. How I ended up in BFN? Looooong story, but I have succeeded in adjusting quite well. Can even braai with charcoal :cool: . Yes the South African Army had a wonderful connection with the French - andyou remember the Alouettes and Pumas?

Of course I remember them. Braai with charcoal??? :eek::eek::eek: You are lost to society!!!ROTF

Hallo Heinrich. Thank you gor your message. Yes I am really looking forward to my first build. How I ended up in BFN? Looooong story, but I have succeeded in adjusting quite well. Can even braai with charcoal :cool: . Yes the South African Army had a wonderful connection with the French - andyou remember the Alouettes and Pumas?
I had the pleasure of serving my national Service in the SAAF, Ops/Int at Ysterplaat and Ondangwa. Flew many hours in Pumas, Alouettes, Daks and flossies. Coming from KZN, I'm more of a curry man than a braai master.

I had the pleasure of serving my national Service in the SAAF, Ops/Int at Ysterplaat and Ondangwa. Flew many hours in Pumas, Alouettes, Daks and flossies. I'm more of a curry man than a braai master.

I thank you allowing me to join the forum. Before registration I was perusing the pictures of completed ships, and wow, I was in awe. I also picked up on some of the discussions and was just so inspired by the friendly and helpful tone of so many of the contributors. How did I end up here on the forum? Well during a bout of COVID-19 I have decided that I need to do something new with my life, and specifically my scale model life. For years now I have being building AFV's (mostly 1/72 scale), figures (mostly 1/35 scale) and the odd flying thingy. For many years I grew up near the western coast of South Africa, and always loved the sea, and visiting Simons Town and Cape Town Harbour to see who is visiting the harbours (always part of a Sunday drive). Oh and the beauty I was so often confronted with. A french aircraft carrier, British Navy Frigates and more. And yes I did build the odd ship when a kid, mostly the Airfix kits and spend so many happy hours painting and building. But I followed a different path, and now I have the oppertunity to start something new, and there is now better way than celebrating this new path with exploring the world of scale model ships and to start working on them. Currently, I am not working on a ship model, but three of them are on their way. I feel as exited as on my first day of school! Thank you for helping me to start taking this journey.
Hallo @Ettienne
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Happy Birthday !!! Popcorn Bottle Birthday-CakeWhen can we expect to see the start of a build log?

Happy Birthday !!! Popcorn Bottle Birthday-CakeWhen can we expect to see the start of a build log?
Hi Heinrich,

Got a bit lost and distracted by other things, thank you for the birthday wishes. This coming week-end I would like to make a start on a ship, and with that then starting the log. Will look trough the stash to decide whickh one to do. The stash grew a bit since the arrival of the Heller kit.

Hallo @Ettienne
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Thank you very much, although belated. Got distracted by things and stuff much less important than ships....:(. Not good, but will be on track soon. Looking to start on the first built this week-end. Something hopefully simple (if possible)just to ease myself into this new lovely world of ships....

Back