Halve Maen (Half Moon) 1:50 Corel kit [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello Rene. What a wife you have! Okay I am very excited for you - The Batavia is a beautiful ship and the Kolderstok kit fully does her justice. I believe you have the ability to make this one of the best Batavia builds - and there are many - out there. I wish you the best of luck and if you need a second opinion on something, just ask!

The pilots house

In the Corels assembly instructions a pilots house is described as followes:

View attachment 176931

I have never seen a construction like like this, and I agree with Eric@Brewbrarian it does mot look good.

The replica’s house looks like this;

View attachment 176934

Not that beautiful either, so I opted for one of the constructions described in Erics log. I made some changes.

View attachment 176933

I made the construction by using balsa and walnut planks for the roof and alnut planks and some leftovers for the walls:

View attachment 176936
View attachment 176938

In also changed the construction under the deck. A support beam was stil visible after assembling the house

I removed this beam

View attachment 176940

and assembled a wall under the deck.

View attachment 177012

The wall is visible when you look inside the house:

View attachment 176939
Nice work.Your hutch design looks great. I still need to hack out that beam and make the skylight hole match the hutch. Glad you put the info to use. :)

Hello Rene. What a wife you have! Okay I am very excited for you - The Batavia is a beautiful ship and the Kolderstok kit fully does her justice. I believe you have the ability to make this one of the best Batavia builds - and there are many - out there. I wish you the best of luck and if you need a second opinion on something, just ask!
Thank you. The Batavia has to wait until I have finished the Halve Maen. But in the meantime I will read your log in detail.

Finishing the masts

The masts were manufactured from 4 different types if wood.

C66157DF-2EF8-4DBB-980D-D99BC505575B.jpeg

Corel advises to leave the color of the masts as “natural wood color”. I Do not think the various wood colors of the masts match with each other and with the hull. Besides the masts of the replica are painted dark brown.

FCBB72A5-E653-45BD-8194-035D6E64F792.jpeg

So I painted all mast components with one thin layer of Dark walnut stain and two layers of clear mat varnish.

7C8605CF-E5A0-42C2-B8BB-C1E6C221A98A.jpeg

The ropes provided by Corel were a little shiny greyisch. There was obviously one diameter in the kit, about 0.6 mm. I ordered three sizes brown rope from Kolderstok 0.3 mm, 0.5 mm, 0.8 mm

2B3830C7-1AAC-4CBF-BDC9-E5A07668D015.jpeg

These new brown colors made a perfect match with the painted masts.

DB593966-EB5A-444E-B824-3C96383359CD.jpeg

By the way, I do like the Corel kit, but I do make some changes now and then.

Last edited:
Great progress on the masts, Rene. You have really built this ship at a rate of knots!

Back