Halve Maen (Half Moon) 1:50 Corel kit [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello,

After 30 years doing other things than model building I decided to start building my Second model ship. My first project was Cutty Sark, a beautiful ship but a bid challenging for a first project. This time I was looking for a more modest project.

Since I do love Dutch VOC ships I chose for the Halve Maen. Before starting building I did some research, I read a book about construction of VOC ships and I visited replica’s of Halve Maen in Rotterdam and Batavia in Lelystad, Holland.

Replica Halve Maen
Fortunately in May and June the second replica of the Halve Maen was moored in our living town Rotterdam. We got an extensive tour from the captain himself. I posted some pictures below.

2C5E26B8-1CD6-44BB-8F38-9A93E0320EFB.jpeg

FB8A1F8D-5C23-476A-8A94-93C646DB1A35.jpeg

2376E3CD-94AF-4EE1-9C7B-5EB90891D573.jpeg
2198D2F4-2FEC-4715-8FF1-C08C793C2B2D.jpeg
A6002E9A-E6C1-47A1-8A8C-A487074495D2.jpeg

Last edited:
Constructing the hull

Since start last month I finished first and second planking.

First planking
For the first planking I used PVAc glue. During assembling it does not make a mess and after drying it is very strong. Initially I used glashead needles during assembly. 28396CB5-0DAB-4892-8337-FCBAE3AE28D6.jpeg
It did not work for me. So for the remaining planks I used 20 mm nails. The nails provided by Corel were to small for my fingers

For bending the planks I used a heating tool provided by Kolderstok (Kolderstok.com)B654B72E-454D-454C-B72E-42A96D97D3A1.jpeg

Second planking
For the second planking I used Cyanoacrylate glue. It works very well with the hot plank bender. I was able to hot press all planks to the hul while glue was drying/hardening. It left no staines!
2B3523CD-2198-48DE-9082-53E91E5C4242.jpeg31E209AC-F68C-40E8-B3D5-28E3060FAD8F.jpeg9F4203B8-A8E4-45F4-A51C-8BE9C72759E4.jpeg

Attachments

• F4C09620-B0EE-41B6-B3AB-8F3F26FB3AE5.jpeg
    F4C09620-B0EE-41B6-B3AB-8F3F26FB3AE5.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 11
  • AEDEA2AD-B009-4FFB-B36D-199F6A0BC62B.jpeg
    AEDEA2AD-B009-4FFB-B36D-199F6A0BC62B.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 62DE7B71-EDF4-407E-BD7A-6329D44FEC5D.jpeg
    62DE7B71-EDF4-407E-BD7A-6329D44FEC5D.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Welcome to SOS Rene. I am a big fan of Dutch ships and am busy building the Batavia (modified to the Haarlem) from Kolderstok. Your ship sure looks great!

Welcome to SOS Rene. I am a big fan of Dutch ships and am busy building the Batavia (modified to the Haarlem) from Kolderstok. Your ship sure looks great!
Hello Heinrich, Thank you very much. At this moment I am reading your log building the Batavia. I do like your Hull, must be more difficult to do the planking in one layer. How did you manage to manufacture the canon holes perfectly square? Mine are not yet finished, I am not yet satisfied with them. Uptil now I used a knive and small file. Sandpaper dit not work satisfactory.54E87230-F58C-4C8C-B643-915D71CEEDCC.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Rene. I also (only) used a knife and file. when working on the gunports, I just made sure that the model was absolutely level. Other builders use a square stick (slightly smaller than the size of the gunport) which they cover with coarse sandpaper on all sides. They then use this to shape the hole ensuring that it is square.

Hi Rene. I also (only) used a knife and file. when working on the gunports, I just made sure that the model was absolutely level. Other builders use a square stick (slightly smaller than the size of the gunport) which they cover with coarse sandpaper on all sides. They then use this to shape the hole ensuring that it is square.

Thank you very much. This is very helpful.

But should the gun ports be perfectly square? The upright sides are without doubt vertical (as the frames) but I have read in several places that the sil and lintel would normally follow the deck. I don't know with certainty if that is correct or not (hence my question mark) but assuming it is correct then the gun port openings should not be a perfect square but more like a parallelogram?

But should the gun ports be perfectly square? The upright sides are without doubt vertical (as the frames) but I have read in several places that the sil and lintel would normally follow the deck. I don't know with certainty if that is correct or not (hence my question mark) but assuming it is correct then the gun port openings should not be a perfect square but more like a parallelogram?
Hello Paul,

according to the drawings the gunports should be square. at the replica they are square but not horizontal. But for me the walls must be as smooth and rectangular as possible. And now they stil contain flaws.
I had already worked with a rectangular stick but not with a size of 10 mm square .At the Batavia ship they are Square too.

Hello Paul,

according to the drawings the gunports should be square. at the replica they are square but not horizontal. But for me the walls must be as smooth and rectangular as possible. And now they stil contain flaws.
I had already worked with a rectangular stick but not with a size of 10 mm square .At the Batavia ship they are Square too.
Hi gents,

Interesting discussion.
This is depending on the building methode of the ship. In a shell first build ship the gunports were most probably square with the top and bottom following tge deck like Vasa. In frame first ships the sides were most probably perpendicular to the waterline and the top and bottom following the deck like Victory.
The halve maen was a shell first build jacht, so most probably square gunports.

Hi gents,

Interesting discussion.
This is depending on the building methode of the ship. In a shell first build ship the gunports were most probably square with the top and bottom following tge deck like Vasa. In frame first ships the sides were most probably perpendicular to the waterline and the top and bottom following the deck like Victory.
Hello Maarten,

certainly interesting discussion. Up to now I followed instruction from Corel. The ports are definitely horizontal and square indicated on the drawing.
Looking at my photo’s from Batavia replica and frow Halve Maen replica it seems all their ports are square but some are not horizontal. But I took these photos with Iphone. So the Iphone lens deforms the image. Next visit I will use a proper camera!

How do you finish neatly your canon holes? I would like to hear from your experience.

Hello Maarten,

certainly interesting discussion. Up to now I followed instruction from Corel. The ports are definitely horizontal and square indicated on the drawing.
Looking at my photo’s from Batavia replica and frow Halve Maen replica it seems all their ports are square but some are not horizontal. But I took these photos with Iphone. So the Iphone lens deforms the image. Next visit I will use a proper camera!

How do you finish neatly your canon holes? I would like to hear from your experience.
Hi Ron,

It is correct that they are not horizontal as the deck is not horizontal, but they are square so the sides are not vertical.

For the gunports I normally make a template. I then file them to fit the template exactly.
For filing square you use a triangular file to get the edges sharp.

Hi gents,

Interesting discussion.
Hi Maarten, I did not know that, thanks. My goal is to learn something every day so you've just made my day :)
I know it is a very old ship but are you sure they were build plank first?
2020-08-13.png

Hi Maarten, I did not know that, thanks. My goal is to learn something every day so you've just made my day :)
I know it is a very old ship but are you sure they were build plank first?
View attachment 172975
The ships you mention here are the replicas not the originals, these were build shell first, batavia and halve maen for sure.
The builder of Batavia replica Willem Vos build her frame first as there was not sufficient knowledge to build her shell first at the time. The replica of Duyfken in Fremantle was however build shell first, same like the willem barentz replica in Harlingen. But the knowledge about this is increased enormously in the last 30 years. My next build to be started next year will be shell first.
1597352408003.png

Back