Has anyone seen or know of a POF build of the USS Constitution?

i do not think there are any plank on frame models because the framing is a solid wall of timbers. So a model would look like a solid hull. Durning the war of 1812 the British built their war ship the same way on the Great Lakes the frigates were framed so close together they formed a solid wall of timbering

220811-N-IP911-0001.jpggettyimages-90019237-1024x1024.jpg

you can see here during repairs how close the framing is. There might be an inch maybe 2. so at say a scale of 1:48 the spacing between frames is around .020 thousandths.

constitution framing2.jpg

YES - it would be a solid wooden wall, when the framing would be executed like the original structure - but this is valid for a lot of ships.
most of the POF models have simplified framing .....
But anyhow - as I know there is no POF kit available on the market

i do not think there are any plank on frame models because the framing is a solid wall of timbers. So a model would look like a solid hull. Durning the war of 1812 the British built their war ship the same way on the Great Lakes the frigates were framed so close together they formed a solid wall of timbering

View attachment 407920View attachment 407921

you can see here during repairs how close the framing is. There might be an inch maybe 2. so at say a scale of 1:48 the spacing between frames is around .020 thousandths.

View attachment 407922
Dave thank you! The photos really capture your point. Almost enough wood for two standard hulls!

The design of the first frigates can be quite a study. The U.S.S. Constitution Museum web site has a huge archive of drawings of various areas of the Ship.
Remember that the most complete drawings of the Ship come from the 1927 to 1929 survey of the Ship.
The hull of the Constitution is truly a solid grouping of woods. The exterior of the hull is close to 4” of white oak. The ribs are a combination of white and live oak with cross beam strengthred of live oak. Knees of live oak. Interior planking of white oak.
Look at the previous photos of the ship. You can see how tight the spacing is and how strong this hull is. It’s, as mention, the strength of this ship.

View attachment 407920View attachment 407921

View attachment 407922
What, No traditional hand tools? ;)

Back