Have You Used This Rigging Tool?

I do not have the tool like this but looking at the picture the tool has dual function: 1) cutting threads as scissors 2) be used as a clip (look at the ratchet locking feature at the finger holder rings). Possibly this may help when doing rigging job.

Maybe this videos makes it more clear:

The first video is especially helpful. I love the way he wraps the thread around the pliers multiple times, then grabs the other end and pulls though. That looks like something I might be able to do much better than just using my fingers. And the subject tool is very similar, just adds the cutting feature, it looks like. I have similar pliers (hemostats?) but with rubber on the jaws.

Looks like these products from Amazon might be similar:

HTS 226H4 4" Stainless Steel Locking Fisherman's Hemostat with Scissors

Baker BSF65 6-1/2-Inch Straight Scissors/Forceps

It it makes me tie knots like the guy in the video, I think I want it!

That tool looks to be of limited use. If you have trouble with knots practice some fishing knots on thick cord or string (search YouTube) - you can also get small cheap fishing gadgets where, with a little bit of dexterity, several knots can be produced. There are hundreds of types of knots, but you just need to find a few which work for you and can be easily replicated.

Let me suggest that there are lots of “tools” out there for knot tying…largely from the fishing world…they all work…but they all take a lot of practice to work conveniently…just saying…

As Uwek aptly responded it is a sutcher knot tying tool. It is actually used by doctors and veterinarians.

The version you show is a non medical version someone came up for the lay person, modeler who might need to tie square knots along a line. The actual knot tying process using the tool takes a little practice, but once learned you can move very fast.

I have a pair of the same ones you have. They are somewhere in a dark drawer (hint hint!!) ;)

A ship newb, but a scale modeler with more than a few decades under my belt... I don't buy tools I "think" I'm going to need, that's the way to wind up with a drawer full of junk. If I find I need something to get a job done, I either try and build/modify a tool myself, or then go purchase one after some research.

I ran across this Ship Modeler's Rigging Tool on MicroMark. They give no instructions, saying they will provided with the 2-piece set, but for the life of me, I have no idea how this will help make knots (which I have a lot of problems with).
View attachment 399634
Has anyone used it? How does it work?
I have similar, somewhere!! As a clip it's too heavy and as snips there are far better designs. Micromark are masters of useless junk selling.

Back