Having Metalworking Fun (sheet metal)

So I went to form the photoetched brass rudder hinges and promptly snapped them while bending. AL etched little bend points on the pieces only to have them snap off right at their scribed marks. Very disappointed! So...off I went to the hobby shop and bought some small sheets of brass so I could replicate the parts. Bending by hand isn't a precise as I'd like it. I have a modelling bending brake coming from Micro-Mark via Amazon due some time today so that should help. A learning experience. Posting some pictures for your perusal. If you have suggestions or ideas, please send them along!20210415_123804.jpg20210415_123903.jpg20210415_123848.jpg20210415_123916.jpg20210415_123808.jpg

Last edited:
So I went to form the photoetched brass rudder hinges and promptly snapped them while bending. AL etched little bend points on the pieces only to have them snap off right at their scribed marks. Very disappointed! So...off I went to the hobby shop and bought some small sheets of brass so I could replicate the parts. Bending by hand isn't a precise as I'd like it. I have a modelling bending brake coming from Micro-Mark via Amazon due some time today so that should help. Alearning experience. Posting some pictures for your perusal. If you have suggestions or ideas, please send them along!View attachment 227723View attachment 227724View attachment 227725View attachment 227726View attachment 227727
Thanks for posting, it’s great to see how others manage things, there’s always something to learn no matter how small

If you quench brass or copper in methanol it will stay bright and soft. I've only had a fire with a large (10cmX10cm) piece, but be prepared and cautious.

Hi Philski,

To fully anneal a metal it need to be quenched or cooled rapidly however allowing the piece to cool in air will anneal it sufficiently for your needs, the rule of thumb is the quicker the metal is quenched the more annealed it is.

Nice scratch made parts.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Hi Philski,

To fully anneal a metal it need to be quenched or cooled rapidly however allowing the piece to cool in air will anneal it sufficiently for your needs, the rule of thumb is the quicker the metal is quenched the more annealed it is.

Nice scratch made parts.

Cheers,
Stephen.
In the past, I annealed parts (copper beryllium) in an LPCVD (low presure chemical vapor deposition) furnace. At 1500 ° C. Then they were allowed to cool fully. I just have not annealed small brass parts. Thanks for your explanation - much appreciated.

Back