Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Kit in review: Hayling (1760)
Plank On Frame model, full hull kit, complete with rigging and sails
by Modelship Dockyard

Back in April of this very year, Modelship Dockyard announced to us the development of a new kit. They were challenged with tasks to bring full enjoyment of building the Plank On Frame model, without much modeling experience as a modeler and spending years building it. The choice fell on...a small cargo ship type of Hoy, from the middle of the 18th Century and named - Hayling.

What Is a Hoy?
A hoy is a type of ship, first appearing in the 16th century in Europe with Dutch and English navies. Different types of ships were classified as hoys, including sloop-rigged, one or two-masted coastal ships, and heavy sailing barges. These cargo ships generally displaced around 60 tons and were used for short-hauling cargo or passengers from port to port along the coast or, rarely, across the English Channel. They were not designed for sailing on the open ocean and were sometimes employed ferrying passengers and cargo from shore to larger vessels.

1660490378407.png

The word hoy is derived from the original Dutch word hoey. In its original form, a hoy was often a single-masted vessel, spirit-sail rigged, used as, among other things, a cargo hauler and a light warship. These vessels were intended to be deployed in coastal areas. English and Dutch hoys varied in design, as English hoys usually had one mast, and the Dutch boats were outfitted with two masts. These boats were heavy hulled and not built for speed but to optimize cargo capacity.
By the 18th century, hoys were generally outfitted with sloop-rigged sails, although the preferred configurations of single masts for English ships and double masts for Dutch ships persisted. The role of these ships in the 18th and 19th centuries remained unchanged, however. They were primarily still heavy-hulled cargo and passenger ships meant for use in coastal waters, although some continued to be outfitted as warships for coastal defense.

1660489749288.png

This type of ship was especially prevalent in the coastal estuaries of the River Thames, in England, and along the Dutch coast. Larger ships relied on hoys to ferry cargo and passengers from shore as they were unable to navigate the shallow waters of these areas. Hoys also were commonly used along the coasts to transport cargo and passengers short distances from port to port. Along the English coast, it was not uncommon for people wishing transport to hail hoys from shore.

1660489933595.png
Shipping off Woolwich, Thomas Mellish, 1748, National Maritime Museum. The vessel in the left foreground is a hoy.

The kit was developed based on a drawing from National Maritime Museum (NMM) utilizing 3D technology to loft the frames.

j0259.jpg

Since April 25, SOS members have had an exclusive chance to watch the development of this kit while the Pilot model was built. If you have not had a chance to visit, please click the link below.

But now, the kit is ready, and without further ado, I will review the content of this kit.
Scale: 1:48
Length Overall: 675.5mm
Height Overall: 653mm
Width Overall: 341mm
Width of Hull (only): 135mm
Length of Hull (only): 488mm)

The Box
The kit comes in a corrugated cardboard box of 630mm\24.8 inches in length, 230mm\9 inches wide, and 60mm\2.3 inches high. Unlike other manufacturers' kits, the box doesn't contain any graphics, photos, or text other than the embossed name\year of the ship and the logo of Modelship Dockyard.

IMG_20220814_100250.jpg

Opening the Box
Let's take a look at what's inside, I am sure you are waiting for this moment since I started the log. The kit contained timber boards of laser-cut elements bundled with tape and sealled\wrapped with cellophane to avoid moisture coming from outside. Also, there are bundled together round parts (most likely for masts) and other small timber. On the left side, there is a small box, it is the accessories or I call it fittings, which we will discuss in detail later in the review.

Opening Box.jpg

I don't know about you, I instantly found a Pink color for the timber. I hope, your monitors can represent the actual color, but if you guess what kind of wood it is, you guessed it right - It is Swiss (Pink) Pearwood! Going a bit ahead, there are about three different shades of the SwissPear: dark pink (mostly floor timbers), and lighter wood for futtocks and other toptimbers. Other parts of the kit are: Laser cut plywood for berth (building jig) assembly. Paper sheets with printed frames pattern will be required while frame assembly. A laser-cut MDF board with various templates: some will be required to properly position the deck clamp, while others are templates for positioning ratlines (board and starboard). And, of cause a plate with PE (photoetched parts). There is one more present in the box, I will reveal it later.

IMG_20220814_100132.jpg
Content of the box: Timber
IMHO, The timber deserves a special\and detailed overview, It is the main component of the kit and Spot ON! The same color and warms of the SwissPear, I saw from Sergey @bibigon. Not sure if Modelship Dockyard specifically selected the boards, but given the fact the floor timbers are darker wood, and toptimbers are lighter, should give a brilliant contrast. Each board is laser engraved with a letter, to represent the board, and part number so it is easy to identify while removed from the board. Let's take a look at all the boards.

600_3183.jpg

Take a look at the back of the sheets. The laser cut is so nice, so some parts are easily removed. I secure the boards with green masking tape to avoid them lost while the photo shooting.

600_3133.jpg

Cant frames and other frames assembly alone with coamings and other structural parts.600_3193.jpg

Below are boards (sheets) of 1.00mm and 1.2mm for outside planking. The laser marks represented butt joints for each plank.

600_3196.jpg

Another smaller boards
600_3138.jpg
600_3198.jpg
600_3200.jpg

Now, let's take a close look. Let's see what will Macro says. Note the two different colors for floor timbers and Top timbers. Isn't it nice contrast? Also, note a laser line, this is the border when you will shape the frame.
600_3218.jpg

600_3212.jpg

Other Macro details boards,
600_3207.jpg

Lodging knees and beams
600_3216.jpg

Cant frames
600_3211.jpg

Planking details
600_3208.jpg
600_3209.jpg

Part of the keel assembly
600_3215.jpg

There are two round dowels, for masts, and laser-cut parts to make spars and gaff.
Masts.jpg
600_3157.jpg 600_3242.jpg

Continue on the next page ...

Continue with the Content of the box Timber
Details for laser-cut spars and gaff

600_3243.jpg
600_3244.jpg

Content of the box: Plywood and MDF boards
Parts for the jig (berth) assembly, are located on 4 plywood boards. This method looks favorite among many kit manufacturers. The boards are even and don't wrap, The laser-cut is very accurate and clean. All parts on the boards are laser engraved. Also, note the laser marks for the frames positioning.

600_3140.jpg

600_3141.jpg
600_3144.jpg
600_3145_1.jpg

The MDF board represents various templates required at different stages of the model assembly.

B4B6259F-41CE-4DBD-80E0-F9113AA863F8.jpg

This concludes with the various timber supplied by Modelship Drydock for this kit. In my personal opinion, I am very impressed with the quality boards for this kit. The matching color (whether it is by design or not), and the Pink color of the Swish Pear are exceptional for my taste. Also, you will not see overburn cuts, they are clean and even. Most of the parts have a single tab, this for sure will ease the process of removing parts from the boards.

Content of the box: Accessory and PE parts
All of the accessories, or as I called the fittings, are fitted in a small cardboard box. Technically, there are not many of these: Galey Stove, two bow anchors, two elm tree pumps, rigging lines, and various blocks. Let's take a look at them individually.

IMG_20220811_112004.jpg

...and the opened box

acccesory.jpg

Galley stove, windlass jigs (left and right), and both anchors are printed on the 3D printer and made of white resin. They are detailed and printed clean. Out from the printer, the galley stove looks bland, but don't worry. The kitt provided the PE parts dedicated to the stove. Those parts ensure that the stove looks right. In the photo below, the galley stove is in the middle, and the left and right parts of the windlass support jigs on both sides.

IMG_20220811_112533.jpg
...going a bit ahead for PE review, I just want to show you PE parts for the stove.

1660527168301.png
1660527216465.png

Resin anchors, you will need to paint them, I am not a big fan of painting. Maybe in the future, they can print them black?

Anchors.jpg

Rigging blocks\deadeyes and rigging lines. You will not be disappointed with rigging blocks\deadeyes, for sure. They are of the highest quality in today's market. You are guessed it right, those the Pearwood blocks we saw in the Drydock store! Blocks and deadeyes are separated in each plastic bag, The quantity of the blocks in the bag is marked on the stickers. Most are 4mm single shave blocks, but there are double and triple shave blocks as well. All you will need to rig the Hayling. Oh...keep an eye for the deadeyes (in macro). What do you say?

600_3162.jpg
600_3169.jpg
600_3171.jpg
The promised deadeys
600_3175.jpg

600_3176.jpg

While the blocks\deadyes are superb, I am not thrilled with the rigging line supplied in the kit (but that's my own, subjective opinion). My big guess, is all the kit manufacturers falling short when it comes to the rigging line. The rigging lines represent in 4 colors: Tan, Beige, Red, and black. The first three come on the paper bobbin and the black line wrapped around wood.

600_3177.jpg

600_3174.jpg
1660529346815.png
600_3178.jpg 600_3179.jpg

This will conclude Part 1 of the review. Tomorrow, I will review PE parts, the sails, and the instruction manual.
Stay tuned ...to continue.

Zoly, the price isn't in the posting. Neither shipping cost per country or regions only when you select "By Now" the Price of $298 is seen.

I read the review and it is a fantastic model. I have the book with plans to built it from scratch, like @genaro is doing, now there is no need.

Beautiful ship and great kit !!!

Best
Daniel
$298 is the total price,shipping is included

Last edited:
$298 is the total price,shipping is included

WOW that is a great deal included shipping can't beat that

i got to say thanks to Ships of Scale to bring such great kits to the attention of the ship modeling community. If it wasn't for SoS such fine kits may go unnoticed, no one else is introducing such a variety of new kits and products to the hobby, and it all comes down to the dedication of the staff and members here to advance the hobby.

Just waiting for the bank manager to get in,
to tell her what I am doing ,
OR
to ask permission
and with luck will press the button.
Button pressed. Hopefully I am the target audience. I love making/building. Always built models. Mostly modern UK Navy, mostly on manufactured hulls but scratch building superstructure and fittings.
My last and only wooden ship was a total disaster, I cant begin to describe how bad it was.
I was quite keen on the CAF HMS Grenada, thought the price was reasonable till I realized that was for Pt 1, the price dramatically increased to get all 3 parts. Maybe in the future.
So, its down now to watching out for a delivery driver, hope my garage/workshop cools down, cant get in there during the day at the moment, and cracking on. I know my boss will make comments on the lack of planking, and that it would never float, ect, ect.

Button pressed. Hopefully I am the target audience. I love making/building. Always built models. Mostly modern UK Navy, mostly on manufactured hulls but scratch building superstructure and fittings.
My last and only wooden ship was a total disaster, I cant begin to describe how bad it was.
I was quite keen on the CAF HMS Grenada, thought the price was reasonable till I realized that was for Pt 1, the price dramatically increased to get all 3 parts. Maybe in the future.
So, its down now to watching out for a delivery driver, hope my garage/workshop cools down, cant get in there during the day at the moment, and cracking on. I know my boss will make comments on the lack of planking, and that it would never float, ect, ect.
Great news, Daniel. Please plan for a build log :cool:

Part 2

Kit in review: Hayling (1760)
Plank On Frame model, full hull kit, complete with rigging and sails
by Modelship Dockyard

Content of the box: Photoetch parts and Sails
I have a chance to show you some of the details of the PE supplied in the kit in Part 1. Today, we have a chance to see the entire PE fret in detail. The fret is sized 140mm x 95mm and covered with plastic film from both sides.

600_3221.jpg
without protective film
600_3224.jpg

In the upper left corners, you can see parts for the galley stove. Recall that the stove itself is printed from resin in white color. It is assumed the painting will require making a nice finish but... The kit provided PE parts to cover the hood, sides, and grill. Oh...there are tinny doors as well for both sides.

IMG_20220811_112533.jpg 1660602228129.png
Moving to the next right corner, there are block strops with hooks. I always have challenges making them, I think it is a very nice addition. A bit below is rudder hinges, and a bit to the right side what I believe, parts of the shaves. They come in two halves, You will have to bend together and solder them. There are various sizes of ringbolts and hooks, down below. At the left bottom are thee deadeyes strops and chainplates. In the same row, on the opposite side the parts I don't know for. I guess we will have to find out. There are also some very tiny parts in different locations. I am sure they will add a touch to the parts they belonged to. Let's see some macro shots.

600_3229.jpg
600_3230.jpg
600_3227.jpg

The Sails comes complete with the leech bolt ropes, earing, clew, and bridle cringles. They are very nice thin, white material sewing in the machine with stitches. You have a choice to stain them in any color you may like. The Gaf has holes for riffs. Check them out...

The set

600_3159.jpg

600_3158.jpg
600_3160.jpg

Some details
600_3251.jpg
600_3254.jpg

Alright, folks, this is pretty much it. We left only with the manual. The manual comes in PDF format, it is isometric images with step-by-step instructions. The instruction manual comes in the flash drive so you don't have to search for aged CD-Rom. You can view the manual right on your computer. This was the hidden part when we opened the box. Besides the imaging manual, there is a written explanation instruction (which also comes in the flash drive). Also, I believe documentation can be downloaded from the link provided by Modelship Dockyard

IMG_20220814_104426.jpg

Here are some pages (random) from the manual.

1660605972675.png
1660606074005.png
1660606109253.png
1660606136567.png
1660606232839.png
1660606293569.png
1660606355532.png

As you can see it is pretty intuitive, with added "key points" and "Notes". BTW, take look at the image upper right corner, did you recognize the part PR1? Yep, this is one of the windlass jigs that come with a galley stove.

Yet, another review comes to its end. I must say, I enjoy reviewing this kit, and have the pleasure to share this review with you! Modeships Dockyard brings to the consumer something different. With the highest grade timber set and other innovative parts, this kit should make a very nice model. Today, modelers have a kit, they can be considered the first POF kit. I hope I didn't miss anything but feel free to contact me with any questions.

P.S. By the time of wrighting this review, I was told by @Modelship Dockyard that the Hayling kit is available for sale at the flat price of $298.00 USA (shipping including). It can be purchased here (link below)

Enjoy building The Hayling 1760! Until then, so long.

Back