Kit review Hayling (1760) - POF in scale 1:48 by Modelship Dockyard

The Hayling kit I ordered from Modelship Dockyard @Modelship Dockyard arrived this afternoon and as requested by Jim @Jimsky I’ll write a few lines on my personal experience.

I ordered the kit on August 16th, the order was despatched to me from Chongqing, China on the 19th August and was received by me on the East Coast of Canada today, 23rd August. Shipping was included in the price quoted $298 US and was sent by FedEx. This is very impressive indeed.

The plain cardboard box was very well protected with two layers of plastic sheeting and an outer clear plastic covering overall.

I do not intend repeating what Jim said in his excellent review but a few points are worthy of mention. All the parts are very well packaged and well secured in the box. I have not opened all the clear sealed wood packages yet, but the pear wood looks to be excellent as do all the other parts including the box of fittings. The single photoetch parts sheet is flat, was well protected and without damage. The MDF is flat and without warpage. At first look I would say my kit is the same quality as that reviewed by Jim. The kit also includes a number of sheets of frames patterns and a thumb drive.

I took a few “kit arrival“ and opening photos, which I’ll add below. When I check everything I’ll note any discrepancies but first impressions are really good. Now I have seen the kit first hand it appears to be excellent value for the price with shipping included and fast, efficient courier delivery.

View attachment 325045

View attachment 325046

View attachment 325047

View attachment 325048

View attachment 325049
Hi Rodger, I really appreciated your feedback. This is why we are doing those reviews, so you can see the contents in your eyes. I am glad, the review comes in handy. Now, when should we expect the build log? ;)

The Hayling kit I ordered from Modelship Dockyard @Modelship Dockyard arrived this afternoon and as requested by Jim @Jimsky I’ll write a few lines on my personal experience.

I ordered the kit on August 16th, the order was despatched to me from Chongqing, China on the 19th August and was received by me on the East Coast of Canada today, 23rd August. Shipping was included in the price quoted $298 US and was sent by FedEx. This is very impressive indeed.

The plain cardboard box was very well protected with two layers of plastic sheeting and an outer clear plastic covering overall.

I do not intend repeating what Jim said in his excellent review but a few points are worthy of mention. All the parts are very well packaged and well secured in the box. I have not opened all the clear sealed wood packages yet, but the pear wood looks to be excellent as do all the other parts including the box of fittings. The single photoetch parts sheet is flat, was well protected and without damage. The MDF is flat and without warpage. At first look I would say my kit is the same quality as that reviewed by Jim. The kit also includes a number of sheets of frames patterns and a thumb drive.

I took a few “kit arrival“ and opening photos, which I’ll add below. When I check everything I’ll note any discrepancies but first impressions are really good. Now I have seen the kit first hand it appears to be excellent value for the price with shipping included and fast, efficient courier delivery.

View attachment 325045

View attachment 325046

View attachment 325047

View attachment 325048

View attachment 325049
Many Thanks for this additional and confirming information - good service, good quality, interesting model -> what is necessary more to make a modeler happy?

Hi Rodger, I really appreciated your feedback. This is why we are doing those reviews, so you can see the contents in your eyes. I am glad, the review comes in handy. Now, when should we expect the build log? ;)

Your review was one on the main reasons I purchased the kit Jim.

As for a build log I know I have to get well ahead on my Syren build first. However, I will be studying the manual and other documentation over the next little while. I am also waiting on the Antscherl Hayling Hoy book from Seawatch, which I hope will provide additional information and techniques. I am hoping this will be a good starter project for a first POF build for me.

Your review was one on the main reasons I purchased the kit Jim.

As for a build log I know I have to get well ahead on my Syren build first. However, I will be studying the manual and other documentation over the next little while. I am also waiting on the Antscherl Hayling Hoy book from Seawatch, which I hope will provide additional information and techniques. I am hoping this will be a good starter project for a first POF build for me.
Good news, I hope you took the recent opportunity @Uwek Uwe posted last week, where the Seawatch books store gives a 25% percent discount on all stock books. I bought mine about 4 years back when it was released. While the kit didn't design based on the book, It should be a great companion while you will build your own Hayling! Welcome to the word of Hayling hoys.

P.S. I did took the opportunity for a discount and bought a volume set of 2 books The Naiad Frigate by Edward Tosti.

IMG_2469.jpeg

Good news, I hope you took the recent opportunity @Uwek Uwe posted last week, where the Seawatch books store gives a 25% percent discount on all stock books to buy the book, I bought mine about 4 years back when it was released. While the kit didn't design based on the book, It should be a great companion while you will build your own Hayling! Welcome to the word of Hayling hoys.

P.S. I did use the opportunity for a discount and bought 2 volume set of The Naiad Frigate by Edward Tosti.

View attachment 325190

Hi Jim,

I did indeed order the Hayling book during the 25% Seawatch discount week. The write up for the book, on their site, says it is based on volume one of the Fully Framed Model (Swan series). I purchased that series of books a few months ago (when my wife wasn’t looking ROTF ).

I know the kit is not based on the Antscherl book but I hope it will give me some much needed knowledge on POF construction methods. So with all that information I have my work cut out to research, absorb
and learn.

P.S. that Naiad set looks interesting but I think she’s on to me ROTF.

Mine has arrived. Had a look through the box and I can only agree with the comments others have made. First impressions, impressive!
The instructions are on a thumb drive, nice touch. However just received an email with revised instructions.
As I commented before, I have no clue on how to go about building one of these ships. To prove it, what is the best glue to use? I have a few in my garage, but not sure that they are the right type of glue for "fine" joints that I expect on this model.
Also, can someone explain what undercut is please.

Last edited:
Everyone has their favorite glue. I use titebond II for wood joints.
Undercutting is just a way of fashioning the joints. I have not personally done that, but may have to learn it.
Here is a link which explains the technique.

Mine has arrived. Had a look through the box and I can only agree with the comments others have made. First impressions, impressive!
The instructions are on a thumb drive, nice touch. However just received an email with revised instructions.
As I commented before, I have no clue on how to go about building one of these ships. To prove it, what is the best glue to use? I have a few in my garage, but not sure that they are the right type of glue for "fine" joints that I expect on this model.
Also, can someone explain what undercut is please.

Hello Colin,

The undercutting mentioned for this kit is where the laser did not go through the parts for the sheets completely. This means some parts will not come free easily and some will require additional cutting. Victor explains in his email that he will replace those sheets for some customers.

Look on the underside of each sheet and see if the laser cut has gone right through. Holding the sheet up to the light will show you which ones are an issue and are not cut through (undercut). Also if you cannot see the shape of the part on the underside that also indicates undercutting.

Hello Colin,

The undercutting mentioned for this kit is where the laser did not go through the parts for the sheets completely. This means some parts will not come free easily and some will require additional cutting. Victor explains in his email that he will replace those sheets for some customers.

Look on the underside of each sheet and see if the laser cut has gone right through. Holding the sheet up to the light will show you which ones are an issue and are not cut through (undercut). Also if you cannot see the shape of the part on the underside that also indicates undercutting.
Thanks for that, I had emailed Victor asking this and he had replied really quickly, with basically what you have said. The jig has come out really well, no problem there. I haven't looked at the rest of the parts as I don't want to remove them from the packaging as yet. Just ordered some Tite bond 2, there are loads of variations of the same thing. To much choice.

Colin

JUST A TIP FROMME HAVING GONE THROUGH SOME STUFF W ITH KIT BOARDS, SOME ARE WAY TO LOOSE SOME ARE NOT SO THEY BOTH BECOME A PROBLEM THE LOOSE ONES JUST FALL OUT MY SOLUTION USE MASKING TAPE TO HOLD THE PIECES TO THE BOARDS EVEN CUTTING THROUGH THE BOARDS OTHERWISE CAN EASILY LOOSE PIECES. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Hi Jim,

I did indeed order the Hayling book during the 25% Seawatch discount week. The write up for the book, on their site, says it is based on volume one of the Fully Framed Model (Swan series). I purchased that series of books a few months ago (when my wife wasn’t looking ROTF ).

I know the kit is not based on the Antscherl book but I hope it will give me some much needed knowledge on POF construction methods. So with all that information I have my work cut out to research, absorb
and learn.

P.S. that Naiad set looks interesting but I think she’s on to me ROTF.
Roger. Please excuse my ignorance. But is this hoy the same/similar to a swan class ship? My next project will be a POF swan (probably) so I will pay attention in a different way if these are sister designs.

Roger. Please excuse my ignorance. But is this hoy the same/similar to a swan class ship? My next project will be a POF swan (probably) so I will pay attention in a different way if these are sister designs.
Hi Paul,

No they are not the same. The swan class is a three masted sloop of the Royal Navy.
A hoy is a single masted freighter so the ships are totally different.
But you will go for POF scratch build swan class so that is good news.

Hi Paul, Maarten gave you a good answer. The kit is not based on the Antscherl book from Seawatch. I mentioned the book because I want to get some background information for myself on a Hoy. However, the framing of the Antscherl book is based on the Swan series, note framing. Little confusing but for you the POF Swan series is probably what you need for your next build.

Hi Paul, Maarten gave you a good answer. The kit is not based on the Antscherl book from Seawatch. I mentioned the book because I want to get some background information for myself on a Hoy. However, the framing of the Antscherl book is based on the Swan series, note framing. Little confusing but for you the POF Swan series is probably what you need for your next build.
Are you saying that the Hoy Book drawings are based on the Swan class ships framing?

I don’t know zoly, I think what the write up on the Hoy book means (check out Seawatch site) is the similar techniques/construction for framing?
Hi Roger, they are different class ships, they have similarities in construction and common author of the books. Both The fully Framed Model Swan Class sloops (4 books), and Hayiling Hoy was written by David Antscherl. BTW, it is a great read and ton of information.

Hi Roger, they are different class ships, they have similarities in construction and common author of the books. Both The fully Framed Model Swan Class sloops (4 books), and Hayiling Hoy was written by David Antscherl. BTW, it is a great read and ton of information.

Thanks Jim, yes I understood it was the similarities of construction only, not class of ship.

I have the Swan series and I’m waiting on the Hayling book from Mike (Seawatch). I am hoping the books will give me some background info. for the kit even though I know the kit is not based on those books.

Back