Hayling Hoy from Chinese Kit Question

Van

Several people have provided very useful build logs for this kit. At what point did you glue the frames to the keel? As you installed each frame on the keel? After all the framers were positioned on the keel and then glued all at the same time? After the frames were positioned on the keel (but not glued) and additional work was done? What additional work?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

I do a dry fit first to ensure I haven’t made an error with the frame placement, then glue them to the keel using the framing jig.

Thanks - does that mean you glued them one at a time as each frame was built?

I will do what Bryian wrote. You built the frame and start to dry fit it in the framing jig. You can probably fit most of the frames without need to glue them. At least till bow and stern. If you fill comfortable with the shape and all frames are correctly placed, then start to glue them one by one.

Use a tiny drop of Weldbond wood glue. In case of an error, alcohol will dissolve it fast and you can redo the job. This glue creates very strong and fast bonding.

About the additional work, it will depend on the kit. But most of the POF kits will need some interior hull sanding and later, when out if the jig some exterior hull sanding.

I will do what Bryian wrote. You built the frame and start to dry fit it in the framing jig. You can probably fit most of the frames without need to glue them. At least till bow and stern. If you fill comfortable with the shape and all frames are correctly placed, then start to glue them one by one.

Use a tiny drop of Weldbond wood glue. In case of an error, alcohol will dissolve it fast and you can redo the job. This glue creates very strong and fast bonding.

Thanks for the help

Several people have provided very useful build logs for this kit. At what point did you glue the frames to the keel? As you installed each frame on the keel? After all the framers were positioned on the keel and then glued all at the same time? After the frames were positioned on the keel (but not glued) and additional work was done? What additional work?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide
Hallo @Van
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back