Heller 1/150 Glorieux

Charleston, South Carolina, USA (Or at Sea)
At the same time I started La Flore, I also started on Glorieux. The initial build process didn't last long. I just wasn't feeling it at the time, so up she went on a shelf of doom where she remained for two years. While I was at sea a year ago, I came across a painting of the French 74 gun ship Le Lys (ex Commerce de Marseille). The painting indicates this was her appearance in the early to mid 1780s and I found the paint scheme striking and different. Paintings of the battles in which Glorieux was involved towards the end of her career show ships with black wales and yellow ochre or buff topsides, but also some where the blacking extends above the wale into the line of gun deck gun ports. So I thought, it may not be historically accurate, but I really like it, so let's go!

Here she is as she went to the shelf of doom - terrible wood grain intact, typical yellow topsides with blackened wales:
Glorieux-1.jpg

And here is that painting of Le Lys:

antoine-roux-le-vaisseau-le-lis-de-74-canons-commandé-par-monsieur-de-b.-missiessy copy.jpg

So, with my newfound inspriration, I took Glorieux completely apart, sanded off the wood grain (keeping the hull smooth - no planking seams), repainted the hull, dulled down the deck, and also used strip styrene around the interior of the gunports. In the waist, I planked the interior fully with the styrene strips as it can just be seen under the gangways. I did not have the foresight to take pictures of the "planking," unfortunately.

Glorieux-makeover.jpg
With her fresh paint. I like it much better. The yellow color is vallejo flat flesh, which is a very near match to HMS Victory's new paint color. The "black" is vallejo gray black, which is also a close match to the dark gray of Victory.

I gave her a gloss coat at this stage and I used some raw umber oils to wash over her. The effect gave the hull an aged patina not unlike an old model in a museum, so that settled on me on the "look" I'm going for over all. The copper sheathing that is molded on the hull I didn't remove. Boudriot's books indicate it's highly unlikely she was coppered, however, there is some anecdotal evidence to indicate she was, so I left it. I did turn it green, however, as you see here, in the next photo:

Glorieux-part-deux.jpg
Now I think we are getting somewhere. The oil wash has "aged" the yellow color. The matte areas under the yellow are touch-ups of the black paint. I kept the fresh copper paint underneath, but built up several shades of green, from bright to black-green, using my airbrush. I then dry brushed on gray-green, which appears almost white in the photo, to give it that extra aged patina, like she's been sitting still for a long time.

Interestingly enough, ships with coppered bottoms often were brighter around the waterline after being underway, especially at the bow, as the action of the saltwater scours the copper bright. I have seen this in person on one of the vessel I've worked on, which is fully coppered.

The base under her in the last photo is the raw butcher block from the third photo after having been put to my router and painted using the hull colors and the blue I will use on her stern and quarter galleries.

I think that's a good start for now. Much like La Flore, Glorieux sits on my bench at home, waiting patiently for me to get back.

G

Very interesting project and I will follow with big interest.
Related to the french used color schema around 1780 - Best would be to check the well known publication by Jean Boudriot about the 74-gun ship, which is a general description of the french 74-gunners of 1780.
I think in Volume 2 could be the answer or a detailed description of the "paintwork" (starting from page 88)

Very interesting project and I will follow with big interest.
Related to the french used color schema around 1780 - Best would be to check the well known publication by Jean Boudriot about the 74-gun ship, which is a general description of the french 74-gunners of 1780.
I think in Volume 2 could be the answer or a detailed description of the "paintwork" (starting from page 88)
Good day Uwe,
Many thanks for the advice, the Boudriot books are a wonderful resource! I am fortunate to have two complete sets of The 74 Gun Ship, one in English and the other in the original French. Someday, I would like to build a 74 based on the timbering plans that are sold by Ancre that accompany his texts... perhaps Le Cassard/Brave (a temeraire). Maybe when I am retired! I am particularly fascinated by ships from the second half of the 18th century into the first decade and a half of the 19th because of their aesthetics - Some of the decorations of the earlier baroque, carving and gilt encrusted ships remaining, but not yet so utilitarian and severe, as they became later.

G

Time for another upload of Glorieux while I have some cell signal. I have a couple of shots that show the upper deck before the foc's'le and quarterdeck were installed. The furniture on the upper deck is fairly minimal, not much can be seen once the weather decks are on, except in the waist. The guns in the waist are the only ones that have breeching ropes on them (through the carriage in the French manner, as opposed to around the cascabel), other than the guns on the foc's'le and quarterdeck. It is possible to see, in these shots of the upper deck, the thickened sides from the styrene strip "planking."
IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

I couldn't help but dry fit the lower masts.... Gun ports covers are in place. Same with some chain plates made from small strip styrene with brass wire for the chains. I had to move the particular deadeyes so they didn't block any of the cannons. The deadeyes on the fore and main channels are 3mm, which is too large for the scale, but the smaller size (2.5mm, I believe) is as small as I could find commercially, and I used them for the mizzen channels so there was a size difference that was noticeable.
IMG_0653.jpg

The ladder from the poop to the quarterdeck was without railings, so I made a bannister from strip styrene. The finials are 1mm ball bearings (I bought them to fill the shot racks, but they came in handy for this too).
IMG_0656.jpg

The last photo in this batch includes the stern and quarter galleries as well as the beakhead.
IMG_0657 copy.JPG
The yellow color the headrails and on the quarter galleries and stern is the same as the yellow on the upper gun deck, however I over coated it with "Turn Signal Amber" from model master acrylics, which is a transparent golden color that made the vallejo flat flesh a little more saturated so it stands out as a little different from the topsides of the hull.

G

Great Job, I want to follow your work on my Flora. How should the canons be rigged? Maybe a close-up would help me, thanks.

Last edited:
Back