Hello All SOS Folks! Best of the season to you.

My name is Reg Wild, and I've been watching this site for awhile now. Preparing to start construction of my fist wood ship and during my research I found Ships of Scale. Lots of great posts from the numerous modellers here, which I am grateful for. I've been been a professional pilot since the early 70's and have always been fascinated by the vertical wings (sails) of the old vessels. My wife purchased the kit, which I will be building, about 15 years ago after she watched the movie "Master and Commander". She insisted that I watch the movie too, and that put me onto the books by Patrick O-Brian. I found it interesting to read the history of the ship HMS Surprise. The ship which starred in the movie was actually named HMS Rose and she was built here in Canada. Termed a "Modern Tall Ship" based on original plans from 1757. Rose was renamed HMS Surprise (officially) after the movie was launched.

So, I will be constructing the Artesania Latina 1/48 scale version of Surprise. I was able to get some good photos of the actual ship at dock in San Diego. From these photos I discovered a number of errors/omissions in the aforementioned kit. Having a touch of OCD, I know that I will be attempting to correct most of these during my build. I am always open to suggestions from the experienced builders here, and look forward to the challenges this build will require of my 66 year old eyes.

Now can one of you kind persons let me know where I should post my build log and photos please, and thanks!

Thank you for the best wishes, Reg, and welcome aboard SOS!

Looking forward to your build log of the Artesania Latina 1/48 scale version of Surprise!

I would also like to warmly welcome you to the forum and have fun.

My name is Reg Wild, and I've been watching this site for awhile now. Preparing to start construction of my fist wood ship and during my research I found Ships of Scale. Lots of great posts from the numerous modellers here, which I am grateful for. I've been been a professional pilot since the early 70's and have always been fascinated by the vertical wings (sails) of the old vessels. My wife purchased the kit, which I will be building, about 15 years ago after she watched the movie "Master and Commander". She insisted that I watch the movie too, and that put me onto the books by Patrick O-Brian. I found it interesting to read the history of the ship HMS Surprise. The ship which starred in the movie was actually named HMS Rose and she was built here in Canada. Termed a "Modern Tall Ship" based on original plans from 1757. Rose was renamed HMS Surprise (officially) after the movie was launched.

So, I will be constructing the Artesania Latina 1/48 scale version of Surprise. I was able to get some good photos of the actual ship at dock in San Diego. From these photos I discovered a number of errors/omissions in the aforementioned kit. Having a touch of OCD, I know that I will be attempting to correct most of these during my build. I am always open to suggestions from the experienced builders here, and look forward to the challenges this build will require of my 66 year old eyes.

Now can one of you kind persons let me know where I should post my build log and photos please, and thanks!
Bravo young man of 66 years of age. At 1/48 scale you can add so much detail. Administrators will show where to post.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Also from my side a warm welcome.

I would like to draw your attention to the "SoS Tutorials and Videos". You will find everything is explained in detail.

As you are planning to build the Surprise from the kit you can start a thread in the forum "SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood".

I wish you lots of fun building.

Also from my side a warm welcome.

I would like to draw your attention to the "SoS Tutorials and Videos". You will find everything is explained in detail.

As you are planning to build the Surprise from the kit you can start a thread in the forum "SOS Build Logs from Kits - Wood".

I wish you lots of fun building.
Thank you for the info. I shall check the SoS Tutorials and Videos

I look forward to following your build.

Hallo @RegW
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back