Hello all

Im Clair from Elyria Oh in the US. I've been in early health related retirement for the last 5 years. I've spent all that time pretty sick most days but I feel up to doing stuff now some.
I spent most of my life in 18 wheelers and single parented 2 kids. On my good days I can be found tinkering with cars, computers, or fixing stuff around the house. Now I'd like to
rejoin the hobby of ship building too. Last time I touched one was around 10 years ago, and with my life the way it was, that Constructo Flyer took almost 3 years to finish.
Anyhow, thanks for having me along for the ride here. Im planning on starting Mamoli's Black Beard as soon as I can set up a workspace and get a few tools.

Oh the avatar, Im really fugly so instead you can see my best friend... Nozo :) He's named after the NCIS character.

Hello Clair, and welcome aboard SOS. We all wishing you better health and will wait for your build log of Black Beard! Until then, stay safe!

Welcome aboard Clair! I’m just down the road from you, in Canton. Nice name for your cat Tony was one of the best characters in the series. Hope you enjoy the hobby.

Welcome aboard the forums. Hope ship work will help get your health Ship Shape in no time. ;)

Glad to have another NCIS fan around, I loved Tony in this series, not his new one.

Take some time to look around at all the forums, lots of good stuff in help and general topic forums

Please start a build log in proper forum when you get started on your kit.

Use the search function, input your ship name and see if others have posted a build log or discussion on the ship.

Reading others build logs may help you with any possible hard issue in the kit, and lessen your build problems.

Kurt

Hallo and a warm welcome here on board of our friendly forum.
Looking forward to see your modeling and Nozo helping you ......

welcome Clair I am in Brecksville about 20 miles south of Cleveland

take a little time and look around the forum and out sister site Navy Board Models a link off to the right.

people here take the time to help with any building problems you may encounter.

Thank you guys, I lurked here for a few weeks before I took the plunge and joined. I noticed right off the bat everyone is pretty cool and friendly here. I like that.
I just recieved a knockoff Black Pearl this morning, expect a small addition to the BP thread and I will show what I recieved. I really should have saved up and spent a little more on the ZHL. Alas right now I am off to the mother in laws to do some small repairs for her first. Work before play :)

Welcome Clair... Happy to have you here. I struggle with pain issues every day, so I know what you're speaking of. If you like modeling, you'll love it here.!! Best wishes.!!
Oh.... Nice kitty.!! And the Black Pearl is a popular ship. I like your choice.!!

Welcome Clair.
I hadn't seen the Mamoli Black Beard before, but I just looked it up and it looks like the same kit as my Black Prince build, though maybe with a staysail in place of the fore gaff sail. I tinkered quite a bit with this as it was my first build and I was learning and experimenting, but I feel like I know the build pretty well. Let us know if you run into roadblocks. This group is great at helping when we can.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Hello Claire
I wish you, a lots of health, happiness and success!
In my personal experience, the
shipbuilding process contributes and helps us feel peace in the soul and contribute even to physical health.
It fills us with content that is difficult to express in words but is very well understood, When we are in the midst of the action
There is a large and diverse group of professionals here with us, who are willing to contribute their knowledge with joy. Good luck with the new shipbuilding project

Im Clair from Elyria Oh in the US. I've been in early health related retirement for the last 5 years. I've spent all that time pretty sick most days but I feel up to doing stuff now some.
I spent most of my life in 18 wheelers and single parented 2 kids. On my good days I can be found tinkering with cars, computers, or fixing stuff around the house. Now I'd like to
rejoin the hobby of ship building too. Last time I touched one was around 10 years ago, and with my life the way it was, that Constructo Flyer took almost 3 years to finish.
Anyhow, thanks for having me along for the ride here. Im planning on starting Mamoli's Black Beard as soon as I can set up a workspace and get a few tools.

Oh the avatar, Im really fugly so instead you can see my best friend... Nozo :) He's named after the NCIS character.

Hallo Clair,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hallo Clair,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY
I wish you many years of happiness, joy, dream fulfillment and pleasure in building ship models and whatever you ask to do.

Hi Clair, welcome to ship modeling and "Ships of Scale". I am president of the Shipwrights of Central Ohio (www.shipwrightsofohio.com). We are a group of ship modelers (static & R/C) who meet monthly. Originally, our members were from the Columbus area, but over the years we have expanded and have members in Columbus, Lancaster, Dayton, Mt. Vernon, Canton/Akron and Avon Lake. Normally we have met at the Westerville Public Library (suburb of Columbus), but with COVID-19 restrictions we have expanded to virtual meetings. We Zoom on the 3rd Saturday of the month, starting at 9 AM and ending by 12 or when everyone runs out of conversation. Expect that, even if we return to the library for our meetings, we will still be Zooming for those who cannot/will not drive to Columbus.

The club has also taken on a restoration project on a 100+ year old, turn-of-the-century model of the "Henri Grace a Dieu" or "Great Harry-1514" owned by a family in Avon Lake. Our research has found the twin of our model located at the Powerhouse Museum, Sidney, Australia and a the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, UK

If you are interested in joining our virtual meeting, July 18th, let me know at shipwright@wowway.com and we will send you the ID/PW to get into the meeting.

Again, welcome to ship modeling and the worldwide ship modeling community.........................bill

Welcome Clair.
I hadn't seen the Mamoli Black Beard before, but I just looked it up and it looks like the same kit as my Black Prince build, though maybe with a staysail in place of the fore gaff sail. I tinkered quite a bit with this as it was my first build and I was learning and experimenting, but I feel like I know the build pretty well. Let us know if you run into roadblocks. This group is great at helping when we can.
Cheers.

Hi Eric,
Sorry for such a late reply. Yes they are essentially the same model as the plywood for the keel and bulkheads on mine have the MV numbers for both kits stamped on it so I had to look it up. I picked it up from Model Shipways on a decent discount, a buck 30 if I remember right.

Clair

Back