Hello, everyone, I come from Ningxia Province, China.

Hello, everyone, I come from Ningxia Province, China. I have never made a sailing model, but I like watching the video of making the model very much and want to learn from you in this forum.
I used to work in a bank and didn't have time to do my hobbies. Now I have changed my job and want to try to build a sailing boat. I feel that the price of sailing boat kits is quite expensive, and many of them are above $500. If I can make them myself, I should save a lot of money, right?

Hello, everyone, I come from Ningxia Province, China. I have never made a sailing model, but I like watching the video of making the model very much and want to learn from you in this forum.
I used to work in a bank and didn't have time to do my hobbies. Now I have changed my job and want to try to build a sailing boat. I feel that the price of sailing boat kits is quite expensive, and many of them are above $500. If I can make them myself, I should save a lot of money, right?
Hi welcome.
Many people think so, but no.
Savings in this case do not look like that, given that you have no experience in such construction. You will need to find drawings, develop a construction plan, purchase materials, some machines and hand tools. And have a lot of patience. The most expensive and costly part of construction is the work with documentation. The kits already have it all, you just need to carefully assemble the model. In the absence of experience on your part, I recommend starting with a simpler model. Do not immediately take on a large ship.

first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum, and second also a welcome to the group of modelers.
Like Alexander wrote:
Start first with some smaller model, only one, maximum two masts, reduced rigging, less planking works because of smaller hull, reduced number of guns, and with this gun ports, tackles etc.
Also with a smaller ship, you will learn the basic methods and you will get the experience for the future models.

Hi welcome.
Many people think so, but no.
Savings in this case do not look like that, given that you have no experience in such construction. You will need to find drawings, develop a construction plan, purchase materials, some machines and hand tools. And have a lot of patience. The most expensive and costly part of construction is the work with documentation. The kits already have it all, you just need to carefully assemble the model. In the absence of experience on your part, I recommend starting with a simpler model. Do not immediately take on a large ship.
Thank you for your reply. You are right. I should buy a simple sailboat model kit first. I need to learn the technology of making models. In fact, I found that although most model kits are made in China, the prices in China and abroad are similar, and the cost of production tools for model kits is not high. For example, the carbon dioxide laser cutting machine is only 500 dollars, and the photosensitive resin 3D printer is only 100 dollars.

For example, the carbon dioxide laser cutting machine is only 500 dollars, and the photosensitive resin 3D printer is only 100 dollars.
At the initial stage, you will not need such machines. If you like the process of assembling models, then maybe you will get them later. In the meantime, you need a small circular saw, a large wood lathe. But you can do without them. Buy a small set, for example, the Halcon schooner, you have one and try to assemble it. Just out of the box, strictly according to the instructions. Open a branch with your construction site. If you have any questions, colleagues here on the forum will help with advice. People here are friendly

At the initial stage, you will not need such machines. If you like the process of assembling models, then maybe you will get them later. In the meantime, you need a small circular saw, a large wood lathe. But you can do without them. Buy a small set, for example, the Halcon schooner, you have one and try to assemble it. Just out of the box, strictly according to the instructions. Open a branch with your construction site. If you have any questions, colleagues here on the forum will help with advice. People here are friendly
Thank you very much!

Welcome and hello from my side too. I can only agree with Alex and Uwe regarding the costs and the choice of the kit.

Hallo @feimao
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back