hello fellow builders

hello,
my name is Andy and I will soon start a new building project. It is the Norske Love by billing boats. It is a box bought by my father in the 70's i think. Not sure when he bought it but he started building it with a minimum of tools, patience and he only speaks dutch, and the manual is in Norwegian, and a bit of English. So after completing the hull the project moved to the attick to complete when he was retired from work. Now he is retired but he has no interrest in completing the build. I took the build from the attick and took it back to my home. I will post foto's in the future of the build and the process, and from what i started with. The build itself is not bad, but a bit sloppy and messy, and by looking at the documentation, build logs and foto's of fellow builders the colors not quite match also. I promised him that i would complete the build and i want to make him proud, so i am going to rebuild the project as it should, and hope not to mess it up

Welcome aboard SOS, Andy. We all looking forward to seeing your new project of Norske Love by Billing possibly in a build log here. What do you think?

Hallo Andy,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our friendly forum.
I am looking forward to see your work on your Norske Love .... :cool:

Hello Andy,
I have a question about the kit. I was given this particular model, built with a true love for the hobby, from an old friend who has long since passed. The custom base he put it on is too large for where we want to display it, and I was looking to put it back on a more original base. Without the plans, I can't see if there were precut base parts, or a design template I can follow to make my own. Is there any way you, or anyone, can assist me so I can make a base? Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2514.JPG
    IMG_2514.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 23
Hello Andy,
I have a question about the kit. I was given this particular model, built with a true love for the hobby, from an old friend who has long since passed. The custom base he put it on is too large for where we want to display it, and I was looking to put it back on a more original base. Without the plans, I can't see if there were precut base parts, or a design template I can follow to make my own. Is there any way you, or anyone, can assist me so I can make a base? Any help appre
Hello Eroeder,
the kit I have is purchased before I was born, somewhere in the 70's, and back then the manuals of Billing Boats were very poor. Thru the years they improved and digitalized the manuals, this is the website : https://www.billingboats.com/index.php/modelboats-footer/2/120/boats/the-expert/P-bb437-norske-love. I checked my father his kit and he already cut out what seems to be the the two pieces of the base. I put them on the scanner and put them in the atachment, if you print this on an A4 piece of paper you have the pieces in the correct size, hope this is a bit of help, greetings

Attachments

• IMG_20210208_0002.jpg
    IMG_20210208_0002.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
!hello,
my name is Andy and I will soon start a new building project. It is the Norske Love by billing boats. It is a box bought by my father in the 70's i think. Not sure when he bought it but he started building it with a minimum of tools, patience and he only speaks dutch, and the manual is in Norwegian, and a bit of English. So after completing the hull the project moved to the attick to complete when he was retired from work. Now he is retired but he has no interrest in completing the build. I took the build from the attick and took it back to my home. I will post foto's in the future of the build and the process, and from what i started with. The build itself is not bad, but a bit sloppy and messy, and by looking at the documentation, build logs and foto's of fellow builders the colors not quite match also. I promised him that i would complete the build and i want to make him proud, so i am going to rebuild the project as it should, and hope not to mess it up
Welcome aboard!

Hi,
It looks as if the ship is supported on two pedestals?
Look under the base and see if there are two bolt-heads under the pedestals. If there are, then the bolts pass through the pedestals and engage with captive nuts built into the keel. (This would be normal practice for pedestal mounting).
You can then prepare a smaller base and mount the ship again.
The downside of pedestal mounting is that on the larger ships the arrangement is susceptible to accidental damage, and can tear the keel out in the worst instance.
The support cradle that you have been sent is a safer option, but you might like to consider a design I have used on a number of ships, and mount the ship on keel blocks, as if on a slipway, and then prop as shown on the photo attached.
IMG_8084a.jpg
The hardwood base was prepared by my local timberyard (NOT a DIY store, they haven't a clue) with the edges routered to a nice profile. I then routed out the centre, laid down the slipway timbers and keel blocks, then bolted the ship down and added props at bow and stern, very like real practice. The 'gravel' is track ballast from a model train store, and the figures from Amati - they add a bit of life.

Hope this helps, and welcome aboard!

Ted

Hi,
It looks as if the ship is supported on two pedestals?
Look under the base and see if there are two bolt-heads under the pedestals. If there are, then the bolts pass through the pedestals and engage with captive nuts built into the keel. (This would be normal practice for pedestal mounting).
You can then prepare a smaller base and mount the ship again.
The downside of pedestal mounting is that on the larger ships the arrangement is susceptible to accidental damage, and can tear the keel out in the worst instance.
The support cradle that you have been sent is a safer option, but you might like to consider a design I have used on a number of ships, and mount the ship on keel blocks, as if on a slipway, and then prop as shown on the photo attached.
View attachment 211869
The hardwood base was prepared by my local timberyard (NOT a DIY store, they haven't a clue) with the edges routered to a nice profile. I then routed out the centre, laid down the slipway timbers and keel blocks, then bolted the ship down and added props at bow and stern, very like real practice. The 'gravel' is track ballast from a model train store, and the figures from Amati - they add a bit of life.

Hope this helps, and welcome aboard!

Ted
now that is cool!

hello,
Hallo @devisandy80
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back