Hello from Australia!

Hi There,

I am the absolute beginner - 34 years old from Victoria Australia.

It all began when i walked into a hobby shop during COVID lockdown after building many lego sets and watching alot of sailing on youtube - I thought beauty a wooden ship! I can put that together. Which was the Artesania Latina - Mayflower. Its fair to say - I opened the box and quickly put it on the shelf.

Over the next couple of months I purchased a basic tool set and then it sat on the shelf aswell.

With Christmas holidays about I thought I would re-open the box and had a look at the instructions and realized this was above my current skillset. So i started searching around the web and ended up on the SOS Forums.

I quickly learnt that I need to take a step back and start from something within my skill level. I took the advice of the recommended basic tools and purchased some more things and also the Artesania Latina - San Juan Nepomuceno - Jolly Boat? (What it was called online but not on the box). Which was discounted - Cheap - Small and a good starting point for an absolute beginner. I then realised I didn't even have a suitable desk in my house to work on so i picked up one second hand. So here we are today! I have my basic tool set and my Budget setup.

I have opened the box and done Step 1.

20220119_144839.jpg

Last edited:
Hallo and a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
We all started with a limited spcae and some basic tools - you will see, that with the time you will also develop this, but step by step.
Often very helpful for a beginner is to start a building log, where you show your work and progress. With this, the experienced modelers here in our forum are able to help and assist, give hints and also answer your questions if any.....

Welcome aboard, and don"t be afraid to be an absolute beginner, I was in the same situationeel like you 3 years ago. When the pleasure comes building ships everything else will come in place.
YouTube and this forum can be a great help.

Welcome aboard, we all start from somewhere whatever our skills, my first kit took 25 years to complete as my vision was more then my skill set until they caught up so stick with it.
I am also from Victoria

Hi There,

It all began when i walked into a hobby shop during COVID lockdown after building many lego sets and watching alot of sailing on youtube - I thought beauty a wooden ship! I can put that together. Which was the Artesania Latina - Mayflower. Its fair to say - I opened the box and quickly put it on the shelf.

Over the next couple of months I purchased a basic tool set and then it sat on the shelf aswell.

With Christmas holidays about I thought I would re-open the box and had a look at the instructions and realized this was above my current skillset. So i started searching around the web and ended up on the SOS Forums.

I quickly learnt that I need to take a step back and start from something within my skill level. I took the advice of the recommended basic tools and purchased some more things and also the Artesania Latina - San Juan Nepomuceno - Jolly Boat? (What it was called online but not on the box). Which was discounted - Cheap - Small and a good starting point for an absolute beginner. I then realised I didn't even have a suitable desk in my house to work on so i picked up one second hand. So here we are today! I have my basic tool set and my Budget setup.

View attachment 284074
Welcome from another Aussie.

Your work area is about the same size as I started on. I still try to fit on there most days but also have a drop down bench in the garage, BBQ table outside and the dining table when I am home alone....:cool: The main thing is you have started you build and you will find any question you have will most probably find an answer from our friendly membership. Enjoy.

Hi There,

View attachment 284074
Welcome aboard from a fellow Aussie. :)

Welcome aboard, After 15 years 8 kits & My work area is still the same size as yours and I did the 1.3m Santa Ana in that space ( The CC Victory might be an issue mind you). Its amazing how much space you dont't need. The only time you have issue is when you rig the masts ands have to turn the ship.
If you only use hand tools & a Dremel ( most POB kits only need hand tools ( and not that many)), its not a problem.

Enjoy the world of wooden kits.

WELCOME FROM ME TOO, WITH ME THE MORE SPACE THE BETTER NOW HVE 3 ROOMS WHOLE ROOMS AND IT STILL NOT ENOUGH AS FOR TURNING A MODEL I USE A LAZY SUSAN IT DOES THE TRICK. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Hi There,

Hallo @drewgon
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back