Hello from Calgary, AB, Canada

Hello everyone

My name is Ken, and I just joined your site which I found while searching for wooden ship kits.

I use to build models as a kid but that all ended when I got my first pellet gun. When Covid19 locked down the world I got back into the hobby and collected several kits online, mostly plastic or resign race cars in 1/24, 1/20 and 1/12 scale.

The other day I was in a hobby shop picking up some painting supplies and I noticed a cool looking kit in a very large box, it was "The Black Pearl", a 1/72 kit by Revell. Now I've never been into ship models before but come on, it's the Pearl. It was listed at $250 Cdn so I rushed home to look online for a better price. I was checking out some reviews of the kit and one post compared it to the "wooden kit". Well this got my attention so I followed the links to ZHL who indeed had a full wooden kit of the Pearl. It was listed as a 1/50 kit that would build out to about 31", included everything needed (except tools) and was listed at $209 US. Well I was due for a break in building plastic cars and I absolutely love the Pirates of the Caribbean movies plus I am a bit impulsive so I placed my order that day. All in with shipping, duties, taxes and exchange rates I paid $380 Can for the kit which arrived one week later.

Now I spent the last week looking at wooden ship kits and watching some U-tube tutorials on building wooden ship kits. I also spent more time looking at other kits offered by ZHL and noticed that they offered a couple other kits of the Pearl. Two other Pearl kits (one open for displaying the insides of the ship and one fully closed) both listed as 1:50 and measuring 38.5". Well this got my attention because the kit I had ordered was also listed as being 1:50 but only 31". I sent a msg to ZHL asking about this discrepancy and while I have not yet received a reply I did notice that on their web site they have now removed the 1:50 designation from the smaller kit. As it happens when my kit arrived it clearly stated on the box to be a 1:65 kit. This kind of sucks because I would have preferred the larger kit but I'm not really prepared for trying to return the kit I got and switch to the larger one but really it's not a problem.

Anyway that's what has brought me here to your forum where I hope to learn all about wooden ship models and how to build them. While the Pearl, will be a fantastic display piece all on it's own, looking around at all the ships available has really got me excited about the prospect of building several more assuming I can manage the Pearl.

I guess now I need to acquire some tools, watch a few more tutorials and then just did right in and start building.

I do welcome any and all suggestions

welcome indeed - the start of a slippery slope of more boat building

Hello everyone

My name is Ken, and I just joined your site which I found while searching for wooden ship kits.

I use to build models as a kid but that all ended when I got my first pellet gun. When Covid19 locked down the world I got back into the hobby and collected several kits online, mostly plastic or resign race cars in 1/24, 1/20 and 1/12 scale.

The other day I was in a hobby shop picking up some painting supplies and I noticed a cool looking kit in a very large box, it was "The Black Pearl", a 1/72 kit by Revell. Now I've never been into ship models before but come on, it's the Pearl. It was listed at $250 Cdn so I rushed home to look online for a better price. I was checking out some reviews of the kit and one post compared it to the "wooden kit". Well this got my attention so I followed the links to ZHL who indeed had a full wooden kit of the Pearl. It was listed as a 1/50 kit that would build out to about 31", included everything needed (except tools) and was listed at $209 US. Well I was due for a break in building plastic cars and I absolutely love the Pirates of the Caribbean movies plus I am a bit impulsive so I placed my order that day. All in with shipping, duties, taxes and exchange rates I paid $380 Can for the kit which arrived one week later.

Now I spent the last week looking at wooden ship kits and watching some U-tube tutorials on building wooden ship kits. I also spent more time looking at other kits offered by ZHL and noticed that they offered a couple other kits of the Pearl. Two other Pearl kits (one open for displaying the insides of the ship and one fully closed) both listed as 1:50 and measuring 38.5". Well this got my attention because the kit I had ordered was also listed as being 1:50 but only 31". I sent a msg to ZHL asking about this discrepancy and while I have not yet received a reply I did notice that on their web site they have now removed the 1:50 designation from the smaller kit. As it happens when my kit arrived it clearly stated on the box to be a 1:65 kit. This kind of sucks because I would have preferred the larger kit but I'm not really prepared for trying to return the kit I got and switch to the larger one but really it's not a problem.

Anyway that's what has brought me here to your forum where I hope to learn all about wooden ship models and how to build them. While the Pearl, will be a fantastic display piece all on it's own, looking around at all the ships available has really got me excited about the prospect of building several more assuming I can manage the Pearl.

I guess now I need to acquire some tools, watch a few more tutorials and then just did right in and start building.

Hallo Ken,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Hello everyone

Hallo Ken alias @Instructorken
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back