Hello from Chrleston SC

I am so happy to find this forum. I have building model ships for 20+ years and like to think of myself as an intermediate level builder. Unfortunately, many days I feel like a beginner in need of a support group. I guess that will be you all (or as they say here..y’all). One of the great things about this hobby is that you never stop learning. There are always new tricks and techniques. Looking forward to the adventure.

Dear Monty
welcome aboard :) Thumbsup
we will be happy to see some pictures from your work

welcome to SOS Monty and our continuing adventure of ship building. There are many here to help if you have any questions and please share with us your prior builds and state a new build log with pics. We love pics!!!

Hallo,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
It every time good to share and to talk about our common hobby - with this it is also possible to learn something new and also visa versa.
BTW: A very good model you are showing us.
Do you have an actual project you are working on?

Currently I am working on two American Civil War ships…USS Kearsarge and CSS Alabama. The Kearsarge is mostly done, just have to go back and fix my mistakes! The Alabama is about ¾ done. A modeler once told me “if you have to hurry, it isn’t a hobby” so I probably have a few months left on the Alabama.

Currently I am working on two American Civil War ships…USS Kearsarge and CSS Alabama. The Kearsarge is mostly done, just have to go back and fix my mistakes! The Alabama is about ¾ done. A modeler once told me “if you have to hurry, it isn’t a hobby” so I probably have a few months left on the Alabama.
Think about it, to start a building log of your Alabama?
You could start from the status now, we would be very happy to follow your "not in hurry"-progress

Welcome aboard the forums.

Please post on the CSS Alabama, I have been thinking of that kit, but wondered what others have done.

I have Revell's 1/96 scale USS Kearsarge. I am wondering what kit you are building?

First I have to correct a typo in my introduction..”Hi form Charleston”. I live in Charleston S.C. I assume you are working on the Revell 1/96 USS Kearsarge Kit 5603 in Styrene. This is a classic kit with great detail. It was originally released in the 1960’s I think, and re-released in the early 2000’s. I put together the original kit almost 60 years ago so I can’t give you much help. I do remember how great the deck looked after a black wash brought out the simulated wood grain. I always regretted not doing the rigging so I recently decided to do it over in wood. I purchase a vintage kit by Scientific and did a major kit bashing. I really bought the kit for the plans but I used a few parts and the hardware. The rest was additional parts purchase and scratch building ( see attached ). Don’t take any short cuts with this kit and you will have a great model.

IMG-0272.JPG

IMG-0273 (1).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
First I have to correct a typo in my introduction..”Hi form Charleston”. I live in Charleston S.C. I assume you are working on the Revell 1/96 USS Kearsarge Kit 5603 in Styrene. This is a classic kit with great detail. It was originally released in the 1960’s I think, and re-released in the early 2000’s. I put together the original kit almost 60 years ago so I can’t give you much help. I do remember how great the deck looked after a black wash brought out the simulated wood grain. I always regretted not doing the rigging so I recently decided to do it over in wood. I purchase a vintage kit by Scientific and did a major kit bashing. I really bought the kit for the plans but I used a few parts and the hardware. The rest was additional parts purchase and scratch building ( see attached ). Don’t take any short cuts with this kit and you will have a great model.
Your model looks great! Please post pics of your CSS Alabama - I am always interested in the build process (especially any scratch work).
Yes, my kit is the Revell plastic one - judging by the box it looks to be an original issue. I picked it up on Facebook for $15. This kit had long been my "Holy Grail" of model kits. My brother built it in the mid 60's and I have been fascinated ever since. Somehow I missed the 2000 re-issue but I wasn't building models at that time (quit back in the 70's and didn't revisit until around 2003). Anyway it is currently sitting on my "to build" shelf.

Original kit, complete in the box for $15…that’s a steal. Right now someone on eBay is asking $120 for an incomplete kit partially assembled. The fact you have the original kit means you have the good instructions. I read a review of the re-issue kit and the major complaint was the poor instructions. I would suggest you hold onto the instructions when you finish building the model. Somebody may want them.

nice boat -wish my 'best' was as good as your intermediate!
Thank you but I have to give credit to Bob Hunt’s practicum on this model. He gave me very detailed instructions and I am great at following instructions. Having been married for 42+ years, it’s an acquired skill.

I am so happy to find this forum. I have building model ships for 20+ years and like to think of myself as an intermediate level builder. Unfortunately, many days I feel like a beginner in need of a support group. I guess that will be you all (or as they say here..y’all). One of the great things about this hobby is that you never stop learning. There are always new tricks and techniques. Looking forward to the adventure.
Hallo @Monty
We wish you all the best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Hallo @Monty
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back