Hello from Connecticut, USA

My name is Ed, and this is my very first post. I am returning to modeling after a 60-year hiatus. Life got in the way. I am in the process of restoring a pond boat my father made in 1928. I work on it as time and health permit. I will give it to my daughter and hopefully, it will be around for another 90-100 years. I don't have a true kit "stash." I have four 1950s-era Revell kits: two are the USS Buchanan, one is the SS Doctor Lykes, and the other is the USHS Haven. I learned about the steamer Portland, after reading a book by Edward Rowe Snow in 1961, and have wanted a model of it since. I have never done a scratch build, my experience is all in plastic. The only Portland model is by Bluejacket, and now costs US$590, plus any add-ons. With shipping and tax, it's more like US$675. I would never spend that due to my lack of experience and to maintain my marriage. Recently I scored the Bluejacket Portland kit on Ebay. It was deeply discounted and I could not pass it up, with my wife's approval.
It is essentially a large 19+lb box full of a rough hull, bags of wood, blueprints, and a box of brass and pewter parts. I want to do this right and suspect it will be a multi-year project as I learn and make mistakes. I am setting up my work area in my basement, before I attempt anything new beyond my above restoration. I know I will need advice from this group. I have saved an older thread from 2 members who were each about 50% completed with the Portland. Their photos are invaluable! Other than seeing some old Portland photos in books, I am not aware of any detailed photos. Their build photos, documentation, and build challenges have enabled me to see the ship close up, in ways I never would, otherwise. I am not good at journals, logs and diaries; but I am committed to sharing logs and photos with this group when I get underway. I have gained much build insight already and want to give back for others.

My name is Ed, and this is my very first post. I am returning to modeling after a 60-year hiatus. Life got in the way. I am in the process of restoring a pond boat my father made in 1928. I work on it as time and health permit. I will give it to my daughter and hopefully, it will be around for another 90-100 years. I don't have a true kit "stash." I have four 1950s-era Revell kits: two are the USS Buchanan, one is the SS Doctor Lykes, and the other is the USHS Haven. I learned about the steamer Portland, after reading a book by Edward Rowe Snow in 1961, and have wanted a model of it since. I have never done a scratch build, my experience is all in plastic. The only Portland model is by Bluejacket, and now costs US$590, plus any add-ons. With shipping and tax, it's more like US$675. I would never spend that due to my lack of experience and to maintain my marriage. Recently I scored the Bluejacket Portland kit on Ebay. It was deeply discounted and I could not pass it up, with my wife's approval.
It is essentially a large 19+lb box full of a rough hull, bags of wood, blueprints, and a box of brass and pewter parts. I want to do this right and suspect it will be a multi-year project as I learn and make mistakes. I am setting up my work area in my basement, before I attempt anything new beyond my above restoration. I know I will need advice from this group. I have saved an older thread from 2 members who were each about 50% completed with the Portland. Their photos are invaluable! Other than seeing some old Portland photos in books, I am not aware of any detailed photos. Their build photos, documentation, and build challenges have enabled me to see the ship close up, in ways I never would, otherwise. I am not good at journals, logs and diaries; but I am committed to sharing logs and photos with this group when I get underway. I have gained much build insight already and want to give back for others.
Welcome aboard

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum
I am looking forward to see your work - Enjoy the forum and the friendship here

Welcome aboard, Ed!

I'm currently taking a break from plastic models to wade back into working with wood, and I'm also just up the coast in RI. Depending on where you are in CT, maybe we could get together sometime to swap building tips and sea stories.

Welcome aboard, Ed!

I'm currently taking a break from plastic models to wade back into working with wood, and I'm also just up the coast in RI. Depending on where you are in CT, maybe we could get together sometime to swap building tips and sea stories.
Please excuse my delayed reply. I am in Guilford, CT and you are probably an hour or so away. I welcome an opportunity to meet with you. Do you have a location in mind?

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum
I am looking forward to see your work - Enjoy the forum and the friendship here
This is late. Thank you for the warm greeting. I am learning air brush techniques and hope to succeed soon. My current project is to restore a pond boat my father made in high school in the 1920s. Once complete, I have five kits waiting. I will post when I see some satisfactory progress.

Back