Hello from Connecticut

Welcome John !
There is probably more help here than you will want. :) And of course, there are many ways to do the job correctly so you will get lots of opinions.
I believe you will find this forum to be a great bunch of people ! :)
You might also do a search in the forums here with "Rattlesnake" as your keyword and go through the many threads that will be listed. I'm sure some of them are for the kit you have. I have the Model Shipways kit of the Rattlesnake, but I'm a ways off from starting it as I have several kits in the queue ahead of it.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board.
We all will try to help and assist you withyour project.
Best would be to start a building log, so we are able to assist you with comments and tipps, or answering questions etc.
BTW: Is it the Model Shipways version or the older Mamoli kit?
Anyhow, building a three-master is a lot of work (and will bring also a lot of fun)

BTW:
The amrican privateer Rattlesnake was captured by the british in 1781, renamed to HMS Cormorant and once more renamed to HMS Rattlesnake in 1783 (the british needed the name Cormorant for a new class)

Screenshot 2023-02-22 091005.png Screenshot 2023-02-22 091027.png

After the capture the british made some surveying of the ship and there is a contemporary drawing existing showing the ship - maybe interesting for you

j5106.jpg
Cormorant (captured 1781)
Scale: 1:48. Plan showing the body plan, stern board outline with decoration detail, sheer lines with inboard detail and figurehead, and longitudinal half-breadth for Cormorant (captured 1781), a captured American privateer, as fitted at Plymouth dockyard as a 12-gun Ship Sloop.
Signed by John Henslow [Master Shipwright, Plymouth Dockyard, 1775-1784]
Reverse: Quarterdeck, forecastle, upper deck and fore & aft plaforms with table of Mast and Yard dimenions for Cormorant (captured 1781).

Welcome John! Plenty of good advice and experience to draw from on this forum. Don't hesitate to post if you get stuck with something. :)

Back