Hello from Durban South Africa

I am a mechanical engineer, historical author and part-time model ship builder.
I have built several Artesania models, built the DeAgostini model of the Bounty, and now building the DeAgostini model of the Victory, having had all the bits in storage for some time.
My ambition is to build a model of the 750-ton Barque "Edward" that brought my family to Natal, South Africa in 1850. I have Underhill plans for a ship that Bob Lightley advised was pretty close. I wrote about the voyage my family undertook in 1850, from London to Natal, so the build would be special. Bob Lightley is a legend in the model ship game. I lived in Cape Town as a student Bob was an inspiration, having several models at the Maritime Museum at Greenwich. His accuracy was something to behold, down to spinning his own ropes. His models were made of boxwood and his dioramas were incredibly accurate. I have much of the same equipment he had, such as an Emco lathe and I can only hope to emulate his craftsmanship in a small way.

Last edited:
You can post you finished model images here,please read the guidlines

Hallo @Denzil Bazley ,
we are very happy, that you have found our community - a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
A very interesting story stands behind your project - so I am crossing all fingers, that it will be a success.
So we are all looking forward to participate, when you start a building log of your Edward.
BTW: From which country the Edward was sailing?

Good morning,
Thank you for the kind welcome, I love the site.
The Edward sailed from Gravesend docks in London to Port Natal (Durban, South Africa) in 1850. I have a passenger's diary of the voyage which took 110 days, including the ship's position almost daily. My great-great-grandfather John Bazley was an engineer working for George Stephenson who pioneered railways in the UK and built the Rocket. There was a slump in the late 1840's and the family decided to seek settler opportunities in Natal. He was a founder of our sugar industry and with his son William built sugar mills and the harbour at Port Shepstone, where small ships could enter the river and load cargo. By wagon it took 3 weeks to reach Durban but the small steamers could sail there in 8 hours. I wrote a book about it.
Coincidentally, the Illustrated London News ran articles and printed sketches of scenes on the settler voyages so I have a very good idea of what things looked like.
I'm not sure many know of the late Bob Lightley but he was a legend in the model ship building game. He advised me that the plans I acquired from Underhill were accurate for the Edward. It was a 680-ton, three-masted barque, and carried a 40-foot cutter for landing passengers.
I started a 1:75 waterline model years ago, now I'm trying to decide whether to continue or start again. The hull is complete and not too badly made, so I think I might just soldier on. The rigging will be a challenge but I have much material to draw on. I've also thought of adding figures.

A question ... would it be of interest for me to post that chapter of my book on this website?
Would be very interesting Thumbsup
We have a special area for ship history. which could be the best area for describing the Edward and the journey
there would be also a possibility to introduce the complete book:
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate.....

I am a mechanical engineer, historical author and part-time model ship builder.
I have built several Artesania models, built the DeAgostini model of the Bounty, and now building the DeAgostini model of the Victory, having had all the bits in storage for some time.
My ambition is to build a model of the 750-ton Barque "Edward" that brought my family to Natal, South Africa in 1850. I have Underhill plans for a ship that Bob Lightley advised was pretty close. I wrote about the voyage my family undertook in 1850, from London to Natal, so the build would be special. Bob Lightley is a legend in the model ship game. I lived in Cape Town as a student Bob was an inspiration, having several models at the Maritime Museum at Greenwich. His accuracy was something to behold, down to spinning his own ropes. His models were made of boxwood and his dioramas were incredibly accurate. I have much of the same equipment he had, such as an Emco lathe and I can only hope to emulate his craftsmanship in a small way.
Welcome to a great forum. I think you will great a lot of great feedback and advice as I have the pst couple of years. Would love to see some pictures of your other builds.

Back