Hello from England

I've been building various plastic models for a while but fancied doing a wooden ship but the thought of planking a hull seemed daunting, with all the curves.
Solution, I am awaiting delivery of the Occre Santisima Trinidad Cross section. I am working through the builds on here and picking up some good tips.
Wish me luck
Nigel

Welcome to the forum Nigel.Not a bad plan to start with cross section to get familiar with the different medium.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Seriously... Welcome to SOS. The friendliest forum on the web. (Also the best..). I am not certain about your approach, but it IS your approach.!! So, good luck with the section of the Trinidad.!!

If this is your first wooden ship model, I would have selected a POB (plank on bulkhead..) small beginners level build to start with. The small easier ships are quicker to build, less intimidating, and require less energy and tools than more complex builds. It's always nice to get one "under your belt" so to speak, before moving on to more complex builds.

In any event, I wish you well and hope your stay here is a pleasant and beneficial one.!!

Dear Nigeld
welcome abord, :)
I'm glad you decided to join us ,You will indeed find here a great bunch of friends who will be happy to support you and share the knowledge we all have here. good luck with your new project- Occre Santisima Trinidad, I will follow :)Thumbsup

I and several others have build logs on this cross section. Only major problem I had so far was getting gun port pieces backward on one side. Check out my log or PM direct and I can tell you what to watch out for!

I've been building various plastic models for a while but fancied doing a wooden ship but the thought of planking a hull seemed daunting, with all the curves.
Solution, I am awaiting delivery of the Occre Santisima Trinidad Cross section. I am working through the builds on here and picking up some good tips.
Wish me luck
Nigel
Hallo Nigel,
first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
If you would like, start a building log in the kit area, so we can all comment, give hints and answer your questions when ever necessary and requested

Welcome to SOS, feel free to start a building log, then it is easier to get answers to any problems that arise, greetings from Norway-

Welcome and consider yourself well and truly piped on board Nigel. Good luck on your new venture into the fascinating world of wood ship building. Both very rewarding and extremely frustrating, but always fun. Especially when you see the rewards of your endeavours coming to fruition.

Wish me luck
Nigel
Good luck with the build.

Wish me luck
Nigel
Hallo Nigel alias @Nigeld
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Nigel, the planking isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I wet the pawlonia wood and bend it using a soldering iron. After a while you kind of get the hang of it. Patience is the key, and don’t forget to watch others’ logs and videos. I’m not saying I have it down yet. I still depend on wood putty and sanding.

Wish me luck
Nigel
Hallo @Nigeld
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back