Hello from Florida

Good day to you all,

I recently joined the forum as I am in the process of sponging up as much knowledge as I can before deciding on and tackling my first wooden ship build. All my research thus far has circled me back to this group time and again, so there you have it. I had to join.

I am a maritime archaeologist, a historical reenactor, and a cultivator of bonsai trees. I own and sail/row a replica 18th Century British ship's yawl.

I used to have an addiction to scale modeling back in my childhood and teenage years, building plastic kits. I worked my way through pretty much every battleship, submarine or aircraft kit I could get my hands on. Some of them I even had on show, but unfortunately the ravages of time struck and none of my earlier builds have survived the multiple moves over the years.

Now that I'm older, I have been pining over the idea of owning a detailed wooden ship model. There is a large space over the fireplace that is absolutely begging for a worthy vessel to display. I think I am finally at a point in my life where the intimidation factor of building and planking a hull and rigging the whole shooting match is no longer an impossible hurdle. These are concepts I now study or practice both professionally and as a hobbyist. I think the time has come to dive in.

Welcome Aboard. Your comment about a large space over your fireplace begging for a model has brought back some old memories to me. I too had a large mantle over my fireplace that I thought would be an excellent spot for a ship model. Problem number one was that only a schooner rigged ship would fit as there wasn't enough width for a square rig. No problem, schooner it would be. Problem number two, and very serious was that my fireplace generated so much heat that the wooden model developed a lot of joint problems because it was so dry. Just thought I would pass that along.

As a fellow reenactor, I bid you welcome! Learning to build a detailed model ship will be a long and interesting voyage in itself. Being a patron of 18th century vessels, you have the advantage of choosing a model which has a wealth of detailed historical design information preserved from history, unlike early 17th century vessels. There are so many 18th century models to choose from, from privateers to cargo vessels to ships of the line. Let us know what piques your interest, and we can point to you build logs of specific ships and even tell you where to find kits and kit accessory parts in your scope of interest.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Good day to you all,

I recently joined the forum as I am in the process of sponging up as much knowledge as I can before deciding on and tackling my first wooden ship build. All my research thus far has circled me back to this group time and again, so there you have it. I had to join.

I am a maritime archaeologist, a historical reenactor, and a cultivator of bonsai trees. I own and sail/row a replica 18th Century British ship's yawl.

I used to have an addiction to scale modeling back in my childhood and teenage years, building plastic kits. I worked my way through pretty much every battleship, submarine or aircraft kit I could get my hands on. Some of them I even had on show, but unfortunately the ravages of time struck and none of my earlier builds have survived the multiple moves over the years.

Now that I'm older, I have been pining over the idea of owning a detailed wooden ship model. There is a large space over the fireplace that is absolutely begging for a worthy vessel to display. I think I am finally at a point in my life where the intimidation factor of building and planking a hull and rigging the whole shooting match is no longer an impossible hurdle. These are concepts I now study or practice both professionally and as a hobbyist. I think the time has come to dive in.
McNemo, welcome aboard to this great forum. Here you will find all the help you need to successfuly build and display your model.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I recently acquired my first kit: a Vanguard HMS Alert, and am in the process of acquiring my tools and setting up a workbench in between work travels. Hopefully within the month I will set to work, and get a build log going.

My main interest is in English maritime history... However that spans everything from Viking ships to modern vessels. Two kits I also have my eye on are Captain John Smith's Shallop and Drakar "Oseberg" by Pavel Nikitin.

HI Mc, I HIGHLY RECOMEND BOTH OF THOSE KITS, I HAVE RECEIVED THE JOHN SMITHS SCHALLOP, IT IS A GREAT LOOKING KIT THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE EXCELLENT NOT MUCH TEXT BUT THE GRAPHICS ARE EXCELLENT BESIDES OLHA U TUBE VIDEO, I HAVE PLACED THE ORDER FOR THE OSBURGH2, YOU HAVE TO BE VERY PATIENCE WITH PLACING THE ORDER, IF YOU DECIDE I WILL GIVE YOU DESI EMAIL. PLEASE REMEMBER THEY ARE IN A VERY BAD WAR, WITH SOME MONSTOROUS PEOPLE, TOURTURING 15 AND 60 YEAR OLD WOMEN TO FIND LOCATIONS DISGUSTING ENOUGH OF THAT FROM IF I OFENDED YOU I AM VERY SORY

OOPS BY THE WAY I LIVED AND WORKED IN FLORIDA FOR OVER 50 YEARS, DADE COUNTY, GAINESVILLE, AND BROWARD COUNTY. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

Back