Hello from France !

Hello ! I am a 67 years old modelist from France and my preferences rounds around the French Louis XIV "Royale". I started in the eighties and my usual predilection scale is 1/75th. I am used to work "out of scratch" by using the (old) monographies edited by "Association des Amis du Musée de la Marine". I was quite clever as for carving wood until a stupid accident occured to my right hand, when three fingers have been almost cut. All this was (more or less) repaired by the surgeon and I had to support many operations for fixing those fingers. As the present moment (and after a long reeducation), I became somehow "left handed". I am now retired and I am looking again for a new project, maybe at the 1/48th scale.

Soyes le bienvenu ici Monseur!
It is a great forum with lots of helping gents and ladies.
Daniel

Thank you Maxi ! Looking @ your Ambitieux (H. Malet - Rochefort), it's for me formi Formidable (E. Hubac - Brest) ... or (C. Aznavour) !

2nd degree practical joke almost impossible to translate !

;)

Hello ! I am a 67 years old modelist from France and my preferences rounds around the French Louis XIV "Royale". I started in the eighties and my usual predilection scale is 1/75th. I am used to work "out of scratch" by using the (old) monographies edited by "Association des Amis du Musée de la Marine". I was quite clever as for carving wood until a stupid accident occured to my right hand, when three fingers have been almost cut. All this was (more or less) repaired by the surgeon and I had to support many operations for fixing those fingers. As the present moment (and after a long reeducation), I became somehow "left handed". I am now retired and I am looking again for a new project, maybe at the 1/48th scale.
Hallo @empathry
I am very happy that you have found our friendly forum.
Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
The monos of the Association des Amis du Musée de la Marine are very interesting, which one did you built until now?
We have a complete overview of the publications by ancre (planset reviews), so maybe next scratch model could be a model in 1:48 published by Berti ?!?
Sorry to hear about your accident, so I hope, that you will recover as much as possible -> it is so important to keep careful - the human body has only 2 eyes, two ears, 10 fingers - so please all: Stay safe, be careful, think twice before you do something Thumbsup

Hello Uwek ; with the A.A.M.M monographies, I constructed the "vaisseau de Colbert" named "Phenix", and thereafter, the "Protecteur". With the S.T.A.B. (a "century ago" French wood-model constructor) monography, I constructed the Soleil Royal. S.T.A.B. was founded in the 1930s ; it was situated on the left of the 2° floor of the backyard in a little street situated near the Paris Opera, a long time ago. I loved the old staircase that cracked, their old style and often, their little fidgety ; their tiny shop was a real cave of Ali-Baba !

What accessories of (very) high quality in their house ! neither plastic nor junk ; only dreamy pulleys (boxwood) ... and what to say about their bronze decorations ? Their paper catalogue was absolutely sumptuous. They moved afterwards to the suburbs of Paris and then, the quality weakened somehow.

I knew S.T.A.B. as a teenager : whilst I was looking for small wooden or metal pieces, there were some wood-model dealer shops set in the old and picturesque "Passage du Havre" (several model shops were there in the 1960s to the1980s). Their molds, their equipment must still exist somewhere and it would be fantastic if enthusiasts could take the case seriously ...

I don't know of any equivalent in the world (except maybe Syren Ships USA) and please believe me, other trademarks are far, far behind !

Hello Uwek, you write "think twice before you do something" ... my fingers accident was not due to a machine tool ; it happened whilst I was helping a friend to move from his home. I strongly seized a very heavy oven (probably made in China) and it turned out that the lower part of the sheet metal (of the oven) had not been deburred. My 3 finger's right hand have been almost cut and their tendons 100 % cut. The crazy thing about this accident is that by an instinctive reflex, when the oven fell (because of the cutting of my tendons), I quickly put my foot under it to amortize the fall ... and moreover, my foot has been badly crushed ! We could speak in the French language of something like "la loi de l'emmerdement maximum" which Google translate ... cannot really translate ... except through something like "the crappiest day of my life" !

Last edited:
Hello Uwek, you write "think twice before you do something" ... my fingers accident was not due to a machine tool ; it happened whilst I was helping a friend to move from his home. I strongly seized a very heavy oven (probably made in China) and it turned out that the lower part of the sheet metal (of the oven) had not been deburred. My 3 finger's right hand have been almost cut and their tendons 100 % cut. The crazy thing about this accident is that by an instinctive reflex, when the oven fell (because of the cutting of my tendons), I quickly put my foot under it to amortize the fall ... and moreover, my foot has been badly crushed ! We could speak in the French language of something like "la loi de l'emmerdement maximum" which Google translate ... cannot really translate ... except through something like "the crappiest day of my life" !
Oh sh..
the "think twice...." was directed to everybody, because I know very well, how fast it can happen - every time and every place, especially if you are expecting, that an accident could happen.
Last week a collegue died, only 31 years young, by an accident with her defect gas boiler - carbon monoxide poisioning

Hallo @empathry
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back