Hello from Hudson, NJ

Hi Jim, Great to hear from you. My family comes from Brooklyn ( Flatbush and Myrtle Ave areas). I grew up in Elmont near the Cross Island parkway and not far from Belmont Park Race Track. Let's stay in touch. I will be staring the Model Shipways Charles W. Morgan shortly. That is my first large ship.

Hi Again Jim,
I hope you do not mind me bothering you. I am fairly new to these big ship models. I am having trouble with wood stain. I have been using Minwax. What stain brand and color do you use for the floorboard planking and any other stain colors you use.

Hi Again Jim,
I hope you do not mind me bothering you. I am fairly new to these big ship models. I am having trouble with wood stain. I have been using Minwax. What stain brand and color do you use for the floorboard planking and any other stain colors you use.
No problem bothering me (not actually bothered at all). In fact, by posting your question in your log, you will have many members to chime in, despite it was addressed to me. But back to your question. I might disappoint you, but I don't, generally, use stains. It is not because I cannot find what I like, or need. In all my builds I like to use the color of natural wood. I love to make my ships with the classic trio: Boxwood(Castello), Pearwood (natural and\or Pink), and Black\natural Hornbeam. I also use cherry and applewood, and other species where appropriate. Generally for deck planking, I would use natural Pear, Castello, natural hornbeam even Holy (white). Under oil, it gives a nice color luxurious sheen.

Minwax is a really good stain and has a variety to choose from. It also comes in small canes so you don't have to buy a lot to find out - it is not what you looking for. They have water-based and oil-based so choose wisely.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board - Frank

Hi Jim, Great to hear from you. My family comes from Brooklyn ( Flatbush and Myrtle Ave areas). I grew up in Elmont near the Cross Island parkway and not far from Belmont Park Race Track. Let's stay in touch. I will be staring the Model Shipways Charles W. Morgan shortly. That is my first large ship.
Hallo @FrankL514
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back