Hello from Kansas City

Greetings. I am completely new to the wooden ship builds. I had built a few plastic ships including the Constitution and Cutty Sark. I decided that i wanted to try the wooden model. They have always fasinated me! I grew up on the east coast in New London, CT and have seen several tall ships in person. They are truely works of art! So, I purchased two kits that I thought might make good 'beginner' kit. I bought the Harvey and the Constructo River Queen paddle wheel boat. I decided to start with the River Queen since it looked like it might be slightly easier for this noobie. I have the keel and bulkheads laid out and the shaping of the hull done and ready for putting down the first planks! I'm excited to get started in this new phase of the hobby. I do see what most people comment about...lack of 'good' instructions! All in all, I look forward to this new hobby!

Last edited:
Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
I recognized also, that you started a question related to your first build - we all will try to help and assist.
Best way is often to start a building log, showing the status of your project with some photos, which makes it much easier to give suggestions and help when necessary and requested

Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
I recognized also, that you started a question related to your first build - we all will try to help and assist.
Best way is often to start a building log, showing the status of your project with some photos, which makes it much easier to give suggestions and help when necessary and requested
I will get a few pictures taken of the River Queen and get the building log started! Thank you!

I do see what most people comment about...lack of 'good' instructions! All in all, I look forward to this new hobby!

this is true many kits no matter by who or where they were made lack detailed instructions.
but no worry that is where this forum comes in to fill that void we pride ourselves on helping builders get involved in the hobby. If you get stuck or have questions we have members just waiting to speak up.

Back