Hello from Kent in England

My name is Ian, I am 71 and retired. I have been a model builder since I was about 5. After a few year hiatus when modelling took a back seat at computing took over my life at home and work, I have returned to modelling seriously since retirement.
I live near Maidstone in Kent with my wife of 48 years.
I have always had an interest in ships, usually the sailing warships. In the past few months I completed the Airfix Golden Hind which had been on the workbench so to speak for over 30 years. Following that was a 1/144 Fletcher Class Destroyer with enough PhotoEtch to permanently damage my eyesight. I mainly work in plastic (PE included) or resin depending on the model, my range is eclectic as I work on what catches my eye at the time. Currently a Ford Model T with a VW camper to follow, but the re-released Airfix Endeavour is hovering in the wings.
I have attached photo's of my Golden Hind, comments and constructive critisism is always welcome.

IMG-7733.JPGIMG-7737.JPGIMG-7738.JPGIMG-7740.JPG

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our friendly forum

Lovely model ship.. what kind of paint you use and there is any different between Airfix and Heller models? Cheers

Lovely model ship.. what kind of paint you use and there is any different between Airfix and Heller models? Cheers
Usually use Humbrol enamels, but of late I hev been experimenting with Acrylics. I love the quick drying time, it doesn't makemodelling any quicker for me because I prefer to be cautious, but it does stop me putting my fat fingers in wet paint and spreading iy where it's not wanted.
Can't give an answer about Heller as I hev never had one of their kits.
My current build is Airfix Endeavour. Pictures to follow.

Usually use Humbrol enamels, but of late I hev been experimenting with Acrylics. I love the quick drying time, it doesn't makemodelling any quicker for me because I prefer to be cautious, but it does stop me putting my fat fingers in wet paint and spreading iy where it's not wanted.
Can't give an answer about Heller as I hev never had one of their kits.
My current build is Airfix Endeavour. Pictures to follow.
Ahh great..thanks for answer. Just my wife looking for dark brown paint most use it for Golden Hind . She love dark wooden and i tell her about use wash after paint. We use acrylic from Vallejo and also is comfortable for us.. fingers print before was everywhere :D so we will try make experiment with wooden colors.

My name is Ian, I am 71 and retired. I have been a model builder since I was about 5. After a few year hiatus when modelling took a back seat at computing took over my life at home and work, I have returned to modelling seriously since retirement.
I live near Maidstone in Kent with my wife of 48 years.
I have always had an interest in ships, usually the sailing warships. In the past few months I completed the Airfix Golden Hind which had been on the workbench so to speak for over 30 years. Following that was a 1/144 Fletcher Class Destroyer with enough PhotoEtch to permanently damage my eyesight. I mainly work in plastic (PE included) or resin depending on the model, my range is eclectic as I work on what catches my eye at the time. Currently a Ford Model T with a VW camper to follow, but the re-released Airfix Endeavour is hovering in the wings.
I have attached photo's of my Golden Hind, comments and constructive critisism is always welcome.
Hallo @Lanraider
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back