Hello from Melbourne, Australia

Hi all, thanks for the intro, Admin.

My dad was born in the UK and was a passionate wooden model ship builder, and he had a few kits in various stages of builds that he loved to sped time on. Unfortunately he passed away suddenly a number of years ago, but he never got to complete any of the builds as he was always really busy.

So I took over his models and have committed to completing the builds in his honour. I'm a newbie but am pretty good with crafts and building.
I'm currently working on the Clara May (Artesania Latina) which only had the frame glued together when I took over. I'll also later work on the Port Jackson Schooner (Modellers Shipyard) and if we have found enough of the parts, I'm hoping to complete his Albatross (Mantua Models).

I do have a question about the Clara May but will post that in the general forum.
Thanks!

G'day mate! Welcome aboard!! Do you know of any woods that are unique to Australia that might be suitable for ship model building? Most of the woods that we use are fairly dense, will take fine detailing and do not have a lot of figure (as the figure is scaled down as well). Such woods include boxwood, Swiss Pearwood (usually steamed), degame (lemonwood) most of which came from Cuba and is rarely available and Castello boxwood as well as several others.

What a nice thing to do, to complete your Fathers models, I have a few of my Fathers tools which always feel nice to hold just knowing that he held them too, an old boxwood and brass folding rule is a favourite, Welcome to the site from another Australian with an English connection.

Hi, I am certainly not an expert on Australian woods however what I have used for my models up to date is No1 Huon pine a beautiful pale creamy wood with a very fine grain and a lovely smell whilst cutting it. It has a naturally high oil content that makes a superior choice for boat building with some compromise for gluing however I have never had a problem whilst using West epoxy.
King William. also known as King Billy pine is also a lovely wood for Boat building slightly softer and lighter than Huon but apparently better for gluing, the only other wood that I have used in model boats is Tasmanian cypress a darker coloured timber extremely fine grain can be machined down to a very fine tolerance I have been able cut veneer thickness on my Byrnes model saw with Cypress.
I hope that that is a of some help.
Cheers Tony

Welcome Jimmy - sorry for the loss of your father. I got into modeling after my father-in-law passed away and left me with Revell's 1:72 Gato submarine kit. I'm sure your father will appreciate you taking over!

Hi, I am certainly not an expert on Australian woods however what I have used for my models up to date is No1 Huon pine a beautiful pale creamy wood with a very fine grain and a lovely smell whilst cutting it. It has a naturally high oil content that makes a superior choice for boat building with some compromise for gluing however I have never had a problem whilst using West epoxy.
King William. also known as King Billy pine is also a lovely wood for Boat building slightly softer and lighter than Huon but apparently better for gluing, the only other wood that I have used in model boats is Tasmanian cypress a darker coloured timber extremely fine grain can be machined down to a very fine tolerance I have been able cut veneer thickness on my Byrnes model saw with Cypress.
I hope that that is a of some help.
Cheers Tony
Thanks for the info!!

Back