Hello from North Carolina

While I've been a modeler (mostly plastic kits) for over 50 years, I'm fairly new to wooden ship models having built only 2 to date.

The first was Model Shipways' NY Pilot Boat (a solid hull kit) which I built as a waterline model for an HO railroad. Even though I only did about half of the rigging, it still made a great display piece. After numerous moves from state to state and just general shuffling around the house it's looking a bit tired. The top tier of the mainmast is broken off and a marker light is missing (but I swear it's around here somewhere). I'll probably repair her and redo the rigging later this year.

The second, and my first planked hull ship, which I just completed, is Artesania Latina's "Sultan" Dhow. It was a fairly simple build but I learned a lot, including hw not to glue the ship to my hands (almost), and most importantly, reserve the wood strips with the best grain for the parts that have to be bent the most. However, in spite of myself and my slowly developing wood ship building skills, she came out great. Although I do wish the main sail hung a little straighter/flatter. Hopefully a few pictures with my introduction are ok?

Now onto my third build which is Mamoli's USS Constitution Cross Section and I'm planning to do a build log.

Anyway, that's about it for now. Hope everyone is well and keep on modelling.

Dominick

Sultan 1.jpgSultan 2.jpgSultan 3.jpgSultan 4.jpg

Welcome from one North Carolinian to another. Where in NC are you from. I'm in the Pinehurst area and there are a couple of other builders that I know of here as well. Yeah, sails are sometimes the hardest part to get to look right but they sure do make a ship a ship. Again, welcom aboard.

Welcome from one North Carolinian to another. Where in NC are you from. I'm in the Pinehurst area and there are a couple of other builders that I know of here as well. Yeah, sails are sometimes the hardest part to get to look right but they sure do make a ship a ship. Again, welcom aboard.
Jim,

I'm in the Charlotte area. I think we are about an hour or hour and fifteen minutes from Pinehurst - I'm not too familiar with the area yet. We just moved here from the Denver area and I became a first-time grandpa last week.

Dominick

Way cool. Enjoy the new grandchild. I have a friend near you that I visit all the time. He's about 30 min. from Charlotte. He and I are working on creating a ship model as I type. Maybe the next time I go over to see him I can let you know and we can all get together.

Way cool. Enjoy the new grandchild. I have a friend near you that I visit all the time. He's about 30 min. from Charlotte. He and I are working on creating a ship model as I type. Maybe the next time I go over to see him I can let you know and we can all get together.
Jim,

Sounds like a plan - looking forward to it.

Dominick

Hallo Dominick,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Happy to hear, that you plan to start a building log of the next project... I am looking forward

Back