Hello from Northamptonshire UK

Glad to join your crew! I am a great fan of Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey Maturin books and for as a wedding anniversary present my wife gave me a Mamoli 75th scale HMS Surprise kit so here I am. I’ve never built anything like this before and having had a read through some of the “instructions” I believe I’ll need all the help I can get so all advice gratefully received!

Glad to join your crew! I am a great fan of Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey Maturin books and for as a wedding anniversary present my wife gave me a Mamoli 75th scale HMS Surprise kit so here I am. I’ve never built anything like this before and having had a read through some of the “instructions” I believe I’ll need all the help I can get so all advice gratefully received!
Hallo @Awkward
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome aboard SoS!
I started on the ship yesterday and want to start a blog. Do I just continue with this thread or do I start somewhere else on the site?

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome aboard SoS!
I started on the ship yesterday and want to start a blog. Do I just continue with this thread or do I start somewhere else on the site?
Welcome aboard sir.

You can start your building log here :

Best Regards.

Hallo @Awkward
Birthday-Cake

Welcome Awkward! You will get far more instruction watching modeling videos on YouTube, collecting and reading model making books, and reading build logs of other builders on this forum than in the kit instructions. You'll find that even with a kit to help you, half your time will be research in building techniques, especially hull planking and rigging, instead of just assembling the model. If you have any questions, no matter how small they may seem, post it on this forum and you'll probably get several responses in an hour or two. Also, start a build log of your own on this forum. Check the messages index to point you where to start posting it. You'll find that to be a great resource to post questions and get advice and information from members on your build as you go. Plus, other beginning builders can learn from your log as well. So a search for HMS Surprise on this forum and read other's build logs before you begin, and you'll pick up several tips and ideas.

Happy building!

Hallo @Awkward
Birthday-Cake

Back