Hello from Northern Idaho

Hi, I am beginning my build of the Mamoli model MV 58 HMS Surprise 1:75 scale.
This is my second wood ship model, and I am looking forward to doing this kit correctly.
I am retired from the US Air Force, and a grandfather of 20 grandkids. I guess they try to keep me young.
Welcome aboard!! 20 grandkids?you must be busy

we are looking forward to your Surprise build

Last edited:
Actually, "just" 20 grandkids. Thank you for the add to this site. I look forward to seeing all the different builds, and adding to the group, also.

Hi, I am beginning my build of the Mamoli model MV 58 HMS Surprise 1:75 scale.
This is my second wood ship model, and I am looking forward to doing this kit correctly.
I am retired from the US Air Force, and a grandfather of 20 grandkids. I guess they try to keep me young.
Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
If you want to give every grandkit a build ship model, you will be very busy.....
Maybe you show us your HMS SURPRISE in a building log......

20 grandkids. WOW. I have a hard enough time keeping up with one person (my wife) in my life. LOL - However, I am sure that your life is full and you enjoy it as I can tell you are very proud of your children and grandchildren -
I hope you plan to start a Build Log so we can follow you.

Hi, all! This model of the HMS Surprise is my second plank-on-frame kit. I built the Bluenose schooner a couple of years ago from a kit my wife found in a yard sale! I completed the keel and frames, and put the deck on, then let it sit for about 15 years because I did not know how to do the planking. I found an old ModelExpo catalog from 1987 that explained in very simple terms how to do the planking. So I finished it up in about a year after that. I left the planks and deck in the natural walnut color...it was so pretty that I didn't want to cover it up with paint.View attachment 215567View attachment 215568View attachment 215569View attachment 215570View attachment 215571
20 grandkids. WOW. I have a hard enough time keeping up with one person (my wife) in my life. LOL - However, I am sure that your life is full and you enjoy it as I can tell you are very proud of your children and grandchildren -
I hope you plan to start a Build Log so we can follow you.
Hi Donnie,
How do I set up a Build Blog? I have a few pictures from the work I have already done.

If you have for instance a wood ship from kit, the first thing you do is to click on this heading, like below "SOS Build Log from Kits - Wood"

1614809028799.png

THEN, at the top of the page, you will see this: 'Thread title" is a little grayed out, but this is where you type in the TITLE of your Build log.

1614809102754.png

WHEN you click on the "Thread Title" BOX, then the area will EXPAND to look like this:
The area below the Thread TITLE is where you start to write your text, if you have IMAGES, THEN, you need to click on "attach files" - when you click on that, your computer will automatically open up a FILE BOX where you search and find the FOLDER on your computer that has all the images of your ship. Then you can select one or more.

1614809205168.png

AFTER you attach your file(s), then you will see the attached file BELOW your area like this:

1614809424705.png

Look at the bottom of the attachment and you will see "INSERT" - you need to click on that one time and then you will have a choice to INSERT the image and you need to choose "Full Image" on one or all of the images you attached.

THEN will finished you will click on the RED BUTTON "POST THREAD"

1614809515172.png

When you start to ADD to your Build log --- go back to this thread and just REPLY TO YOURSELF and make another post !!!

Donnie

If you have for instance a wood ship from kit, the first thing you do is to click on this heading, like below "SOS Build Log from Kits - Wood"

View attachment 217717

THEN, at the top of the page, you will see this: 'Thread title" is a little grayed out, but this is where you type in the TITLE of your Build log.

View attachment 217718

WHEN you click on the "Thread Title" BOX, then the area will EXPAND to look like this:
The area below the Thread TITLE is where you start to write your text, if you have IMAGES, THEN, you need to click on "attach files" - when you click on that, your computer will automatically open up a FILE BOX where you search and find the FOLDER on your computer that has all the images of your ship. Then you can select one or more.

View attachment 217719

AFTER you attach your file(s), then you will see the attached file BELOW your area like this:

View attachment 217721

Look at the bottom of the attachment and you will see "INSERT" - you need to click on that one time and then you will have a choice to INSERT the image and you need to choose "Full Image" on one or all of the images you attached.

THEN will finished you will click on the RED BUTTON "POST THREAD"

View attachment 217722

When you start to ADD to your Build log --- go back to this thread and just REPLY TO YOURSELF and make another post !!!

Donnie
Thanks Donnie, that is VERY easy to follow.. :) I'll see what I can do...

Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
If you want to give every grandkit a build ship model, you will be very busy.....
Maybe you show us your HMS SURPRISE in a building log......
Another greetings from slightly west in Oregon. You have made a great approach to a smooth runway at SoS where the handlers are always helpful. May your touchdown be smoother than carrier landings where any landing is a good landing on a dark stormy night with a pitching deck. Rich (PT-2)

Welcome PapaRonn, congrats on your retirement, thank you for your service! I’m a neighbor to the south in Utah, worked at Hill AFB (DoD civilian) for 40+ years. We’re you at Mountain Home and decide to stay or just love Idaho? (What’s not to love, right?) The Suprise will be a little more difficult build than the Bluenose so be sure to take lots of pictures and ask lots of questions- I’ll look for your build log....

Back