Hello from Ottawa (Kanata), Ontario, Canada

I actually signed up last week as I am in the midst of trying to complete an AL #20500 Bluenose II kit my father started many years ago but abandoned with only a few planks in place.
I immediately dove into the site to start learning as I have no real experience in the hobby and this may be the only kit I build. I have already learned that despite my novice status, your members prior shared knowledge has already answered many questions and allayed many of my fears. I have even had some very helpful assistance from Anchorman and as a result I won't be trying to taper the masts and booms using a plane, the method suggested in the AL instructions.

Great forum, Les Frost

Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.

I am plodding along slowly. I have the hull mostly done. A couple of blocks need to be added.

I am just started on the masts after buying a drill press to do the tapering. Like Anchorman, I was not willing to try doing that as AL suggested with a plane.
Next job is to taper the topmasts and if the lower section is to fit into the hole of the part provided in the kit they are going to be very thin. No wonder there are two extra dowels in the kit.
Should I be enlarging the diameter of the hole to allow the topmasts to be a bit thicker?

Attachments

• 20210319_161539.jpg
    20210319_161539.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 4
I actually signed up last week as I am in the midst of trying to complete an AL #20500 Bluenose II kit my father started many years ago but abandoned with only a few planks in place.
I immediately dove into the site to start learning as I have no real experience in the hobby and this may be the only kit I build. I have already learned that despite my novice status, your members prior shared knowledge has already answered many questions and allayed many of my fears. I have even had some very helpful assistance from Anchorman and as a result I won't be trying to taper the masts and booms using a plane, the method suggested in the AL instructions.

Great forum, Les Frost
Hallo @les frost
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Welcome aboard! I have two daughters living close to you in Stittsville and the other in Carleton Place. :)

Great forum, Les Frost
Hallo @les frost
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back