Hello from Plattsburgh, ny

Just got on the site today. Haven't figured out how to do anything yet. I was running down rabbit holes looking for info on gluing the second hull lining when I thought I'd join. Seems to be a lot of experience here.
As far as my build goes, I have it up to the second hull lining. Bulwark are on, keel and decking.

Do you have a booklet or another source for how to do final planking? The shapes, curves, and directions of planking require study to get them right. There are many wrong methods out there in pictures of ship kits, and it's one of the first things a person knowledgeable in wooden ship design can pick out as correct or incorrect. It's also one of the most difficult steps to do if you don't do the research first. Member here can provide lots of guidance. There are different methods of measuring and plotting the individual planks that produce the correct result. Knowing the the two basic styles of planking British, or European continental (Dutch origin) is the start. That will determine the style of drop planks used. Learn about drop planks and stealers, so you do not ever have planks end in a point, which is incorrect. The pointed planks on your first layer don't count because they are hidden. Then learn about how to taper planks, such that as you add planks to the hull, the correct pattern is formed, and you don't run out of space for the plank ends at the bow. If you don't have tutorials on planking, there are many posts you can search for on "planking" on the forum, and we can point you to several on the web. This is a step where learning takes longer than doing.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Back