hello from Romania

Hello everyone
My day to day job is architecture but in my youth I built a few ships including Cutty sark, Victory, and Aurora cruiser from Paper ( from Maly Modelarz )
Now things are slowing down so I have a bit more time.
Last year I saw a steam pinnace - Janet at Portsmouth Royal Navy Museum and since then I was looking for some blueprints or drawings of the ship.
Till now I got only some photos from the internet so nothing much to base a build on.
I discovered a passion in steam launches, and wanted to build an RC one with a working steam engine.
Maybe I will have some luck on this forum. If anyone can help in finding some blueprints or more information about it I would be very thankful.
Yours sincerely, Daniel

61470(4).png.jpg

Hello Daniel, Selway Fisher is offering plans for some nice model steam launches: http://www.makeamodelboat.com/model-boat-plans

A few years ago I was building a steam powered boat after original shipyard plans. I made a two cylinder steam engine for it using a set of castings. You might find the build blog here by the name "Lempi". I didn't build the boiler but bought it from an Australian company.
In case you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask, I will try to help you if I only can.

Last edited:
Hello Daniel,
Very nice boat. If you want to build a model of exactly the same boat, you might be able to contact the building company and ask for a plan. Sometimes they are kind enough and sell you a copy of original plan.

If that won't work, Selway Fisher is offering a plan of steam launch Edwardian 26 in 1/7.5 scale. The hull of this boat is very near to your dreamboat, you only have to alter the upper structures a bit. And if you want to build the boat in different scale, all well equipped photoshops can provide larger or smaller copies of the original plan.

I got a book from a friend and I will share for modellers interested in steam engines.
I have the drawings too and is a step by step guide .

Attachments

• 01_building_a_model_steam_engine_from_scratch_chapter_1_150_121.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 14
  • 02_building_a_model_steam_engine_from_scratch_chapter_2_246.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 03_building_a_model_steam_engine_from_scratch_chapter_3_192_651.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 04_building_a_model_steam_engine_from_scratch_chapter_4_567_418.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 05_building_a_model_steam_engine_from_scratch_chapter_5_162_190.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 06__building_a_model_steam_engine_from_scratch__chapter_6_170.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 07__building_a_model_steam_engine_from_scratch__appendix_1_part_a_128.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 08_building_a_model_steam_engine_from_scratch_appendix_1_part_b_170_952.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
drawings

Attachments

• componant_sheet_1.dxf
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • componant_sheet_2.dxf
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • component_sheet_1.dwg
    335.4 KB · Views: 2
  • component_sheet_2.dwg
    226.9 KB · Views: 1
  • section_view.dxf
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum
Very interesting work - so I hope to see much more and often

hello again,
I took Moxis advice and begined to draw the plans for steam boat.
I have a draft and I need some advice from you if the plan is good for a RC model
I post the drawing here.
Many thanks ,
Daniel

Attachments

• steam boat plans.dwg
    174.5 KB · Views: 6
  • sections.pdf
    77.2 KB · Views: 5
  • steam boat plans-view.pdf
    87.5 KB · Views: 5
Looks very nice Daniel. There is no scale at the drawings so I cannot tell if the boat is big enough for RC. But if you are going to install a steam engine & boiler into the boat, the hull must be big enough for them. RC equipment do not need very much space, so they can be installed almost anywhere. After all you need only the battery, receiver and rudder servo. And perhaps another servo to control the steam valve/engine speed. But if the length of the hull is something 120...150 cm I am sure there will be enough room for all necessary equipment.

The hull in my drawing is 15 m long
I was thinking to make the model in 1/12 scale so the model will have 1.25 m
height of the model from keel to deck is in the middle 13.75 cm .width is about 30 cm
Maybe is too big and have to consider a smaller scale.
Also I dont have a steam engine but after this madness ends I will try to find /build some
First will have electric engine .

By the way you have a dream workshop Moxis!
Great layout and all the tools you need.
I work on my desk and have to tinker only small periods of time and after have to revert for architecture work . Lathe and millwork are on my father workshop.

Thanks Daniel. When we were seeking to buy a new house, the main criterium was that there must be enough room for a good hobbyroom. And when we saw this house, immediately we bought it. No matter in which condition the other rooms were. Fortunately they were very nice too, so no need for major reparations.

And when I still was working, I was investing to power tools like lathe, milling machine and cnc router, because I knew that after retirement I don't have possibility to buy them any more. Now I am very happy that I did so.

I like very much your idea to build your own launch, whether it is steam or electrically powered. I think your launch is big enough to accommodate all necessary equipment, so go for it! And please start a building blog here, it would be nice to follow how it is progressing.
I am also planning to start building of a beautiful open wooden launch for my next project. Not yet sure if it will have steam or electric drive. Anyway electric is so much simpler to handle, so it may be that it will have a fake steam engine but the main power is coming from a hidden electric motor. This might be an option for you too.

Screenshot_20200417-065923.png

Last edited:
Just a little feast for eyes.
In Portsmouth Maritime Museum

Attachments

• 20191013_152727.jpg
    20191013_152727.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20191013_152740.jpg
    20191013_152740.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20191013_152745.jpg