Hello from Rome (and Sicily), IT

Hello to everyone,
I'm Aldo from Rome but coming from Sicily.
I'm passionate with traditional mediterranean fishing boats, expecially that of the gulf of Catania.
I built some of them in 1/24 scale.
In the near future I'will be interested at the type of the caravels of Columbus but I like to see all the beatifull builds in this forum.
Sorry for my simple and concise english.
Aldo.

20210410_082811.jpg

also from my side a warm welcome here on boards of our forum.
Interesting boats you are building - hope to see much more of your work

Parallel to the contemporary one I made a second one trying to figure out the vintage lateen rigging once used by fishermen.

The livery is also a vintage one very specific of the eastern Sicily and the gulf of Catania.

I have lot of photos of the build log if someone is interested.

Here is the current progress of the build, livery almost done, starting the rigging.

IMG_20210929_220725_368.jpgIMG_20210929_220747_396.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210929_220725_368.jpg
    IMG_20210929_220725_368.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 0
Hi Aldo,
my wife is from Lipari, so those boats are common there. :)
Yes, has been reported that some boatbuilder master has moved from the province of Catania to the eolian islands and now we can find there a tradition of boats exactly similar to that of the gulf of Catania.

It could be a very good location to take a reportage and some measurements.

As of now has been some time that I don't go in visit to the islands, I had an idea of going this last summer but it didn't materialize.

Last edited:
I have lot of photos of the build log if someone is interested.
Here is the current progress of the build, livery almost done, starting the rigging.
It would be great, if you start a building log and show us your work on such boats......

Back