Hello from Scotland

It's taken me a while to introduce myself. I have never done anything like this before joining a group of like minded people and talking about and building model ships.
I only just started this year and,am currently building two models from scratch. I got the plans on the web for free finding them difficult to follow but have managed somehow to build something like a ship;). I point blank refuse to pay the exhorbitant prices for a kit plus my wife would kill me. My hull planking is bamboo approx. 400mm L x 9mm W x 3mm D. Any bending I soften it in a pan of boiling water for a few minutes.. I mainly use bamboo in various forms from cocktail sticks, BBQ skewers,chop sticks. The planking I buy on Amazon 800 lengths for around £18.
I am doing this all on the cheap as I am only an old pensioner and keep thinking out of the box for ideas and materials to use. I have followed Ken from England a lot, as my copper hulled slug tape ship is none other than HMS Ajax with a few modifications along the way. I am not a purist, it is my model and if I feel happy with it and my family and friends like it that is good enough for me. The second model started out as the Black Pearl but will look nothing like it when finished and a friend has stated he wants it when finished.
So shiver me timbers maties and keep on modeling
Ols Salty

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

Welcome to the SOS group Old Salty. Your model really dose look great, would never have thought of bamboo as a primary building material for a model ship. I agree, the cost of kits is far above what I wish to pay which has driven me to scratch building approximately forty years ago.

Jim

Back