Hello from Scotland

Hi everyone

I have came in from the cold of a modelling hiatus of 40yrs since the covid19 breakout.
I have built many Plastic kits in my time as a kid, but my first love is the Galleons and Sailing ships. That was down to watching the old Swashbuckling films on tv with my family like the Sea Hawk, Captain Blood, Mutiny on the Bounty etc...
I take great satisfaction from building these kits, as I love not just the Historical aspect of each one, but I love the different Architectural features and trying to research different aspects of each ship if possible.
There is just something so beautiful about a Galleon in full sail.

With kind regards
Robert.20200514_193652.jpg

Last edited:
Dear Robert
welcome aboard :) Thumbsup
Happy for your joining our special group, we are full partners in your interests in the process of building models. We would love to see more pictures of your creations

Thank you Shot70

I only have another 2 kits finished since I only came bk to this hobby in march.
One was a small Airfix starter kit that my wife got me as a stocking filler for Christmas she didn't know that would ignite me to come bk to this hobby, she might regret that now lol...
That is when I found the Golden Hind kit at my brothers which I had forgotten about so I took on the task of completing that one.
The last one I have just finished and is my biggest Galleon to date.

My Revell 1/96 English Man O'war Queen's Flagship.
20200829_132956.jpg20200829_114302.jpg20200829_110412.jpg20200829_110549.jpg
Its been a labour of Love building this, I have gave it a complete overhaul as I thought the kit instructions were poor.

I have overhauled the paintwork, engraving, architectural features, as well as the rigging and ratlines, added more gunnery in shape of falconets, capstan, rudder chain, stern lantern as well as making and hand sewing my own sails to replace the plastic ones.

Happy Modelling everyone and all the best of health and happiness to you all #staysafe ⚓⚓⚓⚓⚓

Last edited:
Hello Robert
Your route into this seems similar to mine - though it was books rther than films in my childhood.
The Covid-19 lockdown has also been a catalyst.
Many years ago Woolworths did a series of small plastic models for about half a crown (12.5p for you youngsters)
I built them all. (Santa Maria, Golden Hind, Shannon, Cutty Sark, Great Western, Mayflower & Victory I think)
One of the threads in this site discusses the fact that belaying pins were not introduced until the 18th century.
What did sailors knock each other out with in 17th century films?

Hello Robert
Your route into this seems similar to mine - though it was books rther than films in my childhood.
The Covid-19 lockdown has also been a catalyst.
Many years ago Woolworths did a series of small plastic models for about half a crown (12.5p for you youngsters)
I built them all. (Santa Maria, Golden Hind, Shannon, Cutty Sark, Great Western, Mayflower & Victory I think)
One of the threads in this site discusses the fact that belaying pins were not introduced until the 18th century.
What did sailors knock each other out with in 17th century films?
Yes I remember those kits a little but I didn't build any of those, I actually started a larger level when I was 7years old, I started building the Airfix warships like the a Ajax, Suffolk, Belfast, Hood, Bismarck etc.
Think I was 10 or 11 before I done my first Galleon which was the Golden Hind it holds a dear place in my heart regards to those films especially the Sea Hawk.
Yes that is question regards belaying pins as I was unaware of this, yet wooden and plastic kits still have these in their plans regards ships from earlier than the 17th century.
Its definitely one to ponder and research.

Hi everyone

I have came in from the cold of a modelling hiatus of 40yrs since the covid19 breakout.
I have built many Plastic kits in my time as a kid, but my first love is the Galleons and Sailing ships. That was down to watching the old Swashbuckling films on tv with my family like the Sea Hawk, Captain Blood, Mutiny on the Bounty etc...
I take great satisfaction from building these kits, as I love not just the Historical aspect of each one, but I love the different Architectural features and trying to research different aspects of each ship if possible.
There is just something so beautiful about a Galleon in full sail.

With kind regards
Robert.View attachment 177318
Welcome aboard! Very nice work on both.

Back