Hello from Short John Bronze

In my early teens I was an avid reader of sea stories: Ransome, Forrester, Melville, Hakluyt etc. This led to a hobby of making model ships.
On limited pocket money this was from scratch: shaping blocks of scrap wood and painstakingly making my own dead-eyes.
Moving on many decades...
Last summer, in preparatiofor a two-week visit from my grandson, I decided to revive my childhood hobby to give us something to do together.
I bought a fairly entry level kit: the Occre Golden Hind. Clearly we didn't finish it in a fortnight but I thoroughly enjoyed completing it after he had gone.
Realising that this is what retirement is for I then went on to build the Occre frigate N S Mercedes. A pleasant way of passing the UK lockdown.
I am now half way through building the Caldercraft Mary Rose
.View attachment 175602Mercedes.jpgMary Rose (4).jpgGolden Hind.jpg

Welcome aboard SOS, John! Great story behind your hobby, we are happy to have you with us. We encourage you to start your own building log of Caldercraft Mary Rose. I am sure it will be of interest for many of us. The best thing, it doesn't have to be from the beginning. What do you think?

Have fun!

Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our Forum.
I am looking forward to See your work on the Mary Rose, a very good Kit from Caldercraft.

Welcome, nice models you show, nice if you start a building log of your ongoing project, greetings, -

In my early teens I was an avid reader of sea stories: Ransome, Forrester, Melville, Hakluyt etc. This led to a hobby of making model ships.
On limited pocket money this was from scratch: shaping blocks of scrap wood and painstakingly making my own dead-eyes.
Moving on many decades...
Last summer, in preparatiofor a two-week visit from my grandson, I decided to revive my childhood hobby to give us something to do together.
I bought a fairly entry level kit: the Occre Golden Hind. Clearly we didn't finish it in a fortnight but I thoroughly enjoyed completing it after he had gone.
Realising that this is what retirement is for I then went on to build the Occre frigate N S Mercedes. A pleasant way of passing the UK lockdown.
I am now half way through building the Caldercraft Mary Rose
.View attachment 175602View attachment 175603View attachment 175604View attachment 175605
They all look nice. Thanks for sharing.

Back