Hello from The Netherlands

Hi to all of you on SOS.
I am new on this forum but have been looking around for a while now and must pay respect to some beautiful builds over here.
My father, who passed away years ago, left me the book "De 7 Provinciën". Years later now I have decided to build a model of this illustrious Dutch ship. This book by C.G. Dik comes with a set of plans and accompanied by an other set of plans from the website of the deceased Otte Blom I have started my scratch build. Already learned a lot from this forum and also from MSW, in particular the build log there of Dražen Carić, who has been an example for the start of my journey.
It has been some 40 years ago that I have built a model ship so you can say I am a returnee to the hobby but in fact it feels I am new to it and certainly new to a scratch build. So a lot to learn. In the meantime I have collected and studied several books about the ways of ship- and model building, I think indispensable to make a scratch build into a success.

Herman

Welcome Herman.

We have many knowledgeable builders of the Dutch style ships here to help you.

Please look around at the many help and support topics on how to do things in the SoS Forum.

And please start a separate build log on your ship so we can follow along and you can post photos, ask for help or tell us how you got things done that were not easy to figure out.

Welcome aboard Herman. I'm building the Prins Willem almost the same era like the 7P. You can always give a look in my log. Hope to see a log of your build to.

Hartlijke welkom Herman. It is great to have another member who is building a Dutch a ship - and then not just any Dutch Ship, but Het Lands Schip. I will be watching for your updates in anticipation.

Hallo Herman,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Would be very happy to see your actual status of your project - and maybe you show it here regular within a building log
Would be very interesting to follow

Hi to all of you on SOS.
I am new on this forum but have been looking around for a while now and must pay respect to some beautiful builds over here.
My father, who passed away years ago, left me the book "De 7 Provinciën". Years later now I have decided to build a model of this illustrious Dutch ship. This book by C.G. Dik comes with a set of plans and accompanied by an other set of plans from the website of the deceased Otte Blom I have started my scratch build. Already learned a lot from this forum and also from MSW, in particular the build log there of Dražen Carić, who has been an example for the start of my journey.
It has been some 40 years ago that I have built a model ship so you can say I am a returnee to the hobby but in fact it feels I am new to it and certainly new to a scratch build. So a lot to learn. In the meantime I have collected and studied several books about the ways of ship- and model building, I think indispensable to make a scratch build into a success.

Herman
Hi Herman. Welcom by another Dutch. Building scratch from plans can give you much satisfaction. A lot of members here on the SoS are willing to help you. Hope to see some pictures of your current state in a build-log.
Regards, Peter

Thank you for a warm welcome here.
I was hesitating to start a building log as I always seem to be in short supply of time. I have 4 children, and 3 three of them have left the nest by now. It seems every time I am making a bit of progress there arises the need for a handyman somewhere. Children changing homes, rebuilding a kitchen, renovation of a bathroom...
But I reckon most of you would also like to have more time for their builds. I will gather some photo's and start a building log to show you my progress until now and keep you updated. Regular updates? I hope so, time will tell. I reckon it will take many years to complete the build. I have almost 5 years to go to retirement after which time will no longer be the problem (Deo volente).

Anybody knows how it is possible that the German country flag automatically appears although I have entered The Netherlands as my location?
dutch-flag-18.gif

Hi Herman, that's just a guess. If I'm logged in with my cell phone and I'm near the border, it's possible that the Austrian radio mast picks up my signal and then I automatically have the Austrian flag on it. On Sunday I was in the Czech Republic and it was the same. Maybe it's because!

Anybody knows how it is possible that the German country flag automatically appears although I have entered The Netherlands as my location?
View attachment 296734

Simple answer,
the flag next to your avatar under your nickname, so your german flag is defined by the software automatically based on the IT-address of your hardware (PC, smartphone etc.) location.
So when you are traveling abroad, the flag of your current location is shown.
F.e. I am german, but live in Austria - my flag is the austrian.

Thank you. I am at the moment in my hometown Spijkenisse, right between Rotterdam, where the 7 Provinciën was built and Hellevoetsluis, where she was further equipped for battle. So near the North Sea. Strange that the German flag appears, but at this moment I am working on the laptop connected to the server of my principal. That might be the cause.

Back