Hello from the North of England (almost Scotland!)

I was a marine engineer and at sea for 18 years in the merchant navy, UK and Canada. Worked in Engineering ashore until retirement however always maintained an interest in ships and shipping.
My first attempt at a ship model was HMS Endurance's longboat, I was reasonably pleased by the results and learnt a lot (mostly from my mistakes!) With lockdown I took the plunge and purchase the Caldercraft version of the Mary Rose. I've always been fascinated by her, I lived in Portsmouth, England, and had a bedsit in the same house as one of the divers working on the excavation of the wreck. We watched the lift live and nearly choked on our beers with the rest of the country when the lifting frame "jumped" as it broke the surface.
Having seen a couple of the other members builds I think mine will be a very pale comparison to some of their incredible models, but I'll give it a go!
As well as learning from the build photos I'd like to learn more about woods, sources of woods and other fittings here in the UK, and oils, stains and varnishes to give the best finishes.
John

Welcome John !
Here on forum are very friendly people .
I started a build after a visit to Royal Navy museum in Portsmouth.
Pity about that pandemic , this year wanted to make the trip again and do some pictures on this ship interior.
But that is Life no?
Kind regards,Daniel

Welcome to the SoS forums, look around and check out all the forums.

Many have general help topics on use of forums and other about things to help with builds.

Try a search for your ship to see if others have worked a build log for it.

Please start a build log on your new project so we can follow along. If you need help, post a note in build log and other will give you options to solve your problems most every time.

A warm welcome here on board of our forum - I am looking forward to see your work on the Mary Rose

I was a marine engineer and at sea for 18 years in the merchant navy, UK and Canada. Worked in Engineering ashore until retirement however always maintained an interest in ships and shipping.
My first attempt at a ship model was HMS Endurance's longboat, I was reasonably pleased by the results and learnt a lot (mostly from my mistakes!) With lockdown I took the plunge and purchase the Caldercraft version of the Mary Rose. I've always been fascinated by her, I lived in Portsmouth, England, and had a bedsit in the same house as one of the divers working on the excavation of the wreck. We watched the lift live and nearly choked on our beers with the rest of the country when the lifting frame "jumped" as it broke the surface.
Having seen a couple of the other members builds I think mine will be a very pale comparison to some of their incredible models, but I'll give it a go!
As well as learning from the build photos I'd like to learn more about woods, sources of woods and other fittings here in the UK, and oils, stains and varnishes to give the best finishes.
John

Hallo John alias @Eskimo ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
We would be happy to your work on the Mary Rose

Hallo John alias @Eskimo ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
We would be happy to your work on the Mary Rose
Hi. Almost completed the hull, just taken some photos this evening which I will attempt to load up tomorrow!

Dear john
happy birthday Beer Birthday-Cake

wish you all the BEST and happines
You have joined a wonderful and professional group that will be happy to learn and share knowledge

Last edited:
Well here it is! 4 months work during lockdown!
First I must thank Graham and Kageecanuck as I've referred to there build logs on numerous occasions to work out how to complete a number of stages. It's not quite to plan as at times I wasn't thinking far enough ahead with the build, however it's my first attempt at a larger vessel and I'm quite pleased with it! I've learnt so much, I had expected the build instructions to be a bit more precise but have enjoyed studying the plans and working out how how it all goes together and also the sequence of build. I've learnt about setting aside enough time for the build, you can't just sit down for 10 minutes and do a bit but need time to think each stage through. I do need to invest in some sort of glue dropper as I spent a lot of time scrapping off excess blobs.
I fitted the individual masts at each stage to ensure that the location holes always lined up through the decks, however now that I'm almost ready to step the masts I find while they all fit but the rake on each mast is different!! More to learn!!!

MR 1.JPGMR 2.JPGMR 3.jpgMR 4.JPGMR 5.JPGMR 6.JPGMR 7.JPG

First I must thank Graham and Kageecanuck as I've referred to there build logs on numerous occasions to work out how to complete a number of stages. It's not quite to plan as at times I wasn't thinking far enough ahead with the build, however it's my first attempt at a larger vessel and I'm quite pleased with it! I've learnt so much, I had expected the build instructions to be a bit more precise but have enjoyed studying the plans and working out how how it all goes together and also the sequence of build. I've learnt about setting aside enough time for the build, you can't just sit down for 10 minutes and do a bit but need time to think each stage through. I do need to invest in some sort of glue dropper as I spent a lot of time scrapping off excess blobs.
I fitted the individual masts at each stage to ensure that the location holes always lined up through the decks, however now that I'm almost ready to step the masts I find while they all fit but the rake on each mast is different!! More to learn!!!
it's looks beautiful model, well done :)Thumbsup

Looking very good - why not srating a building log, just from this status and show us more often something of your work on the Mary Rose....

G'day Eskimo, that is a very nice looking model you have built, I love the mixed natural wood colours, I look forward to your build log if you do one, I originally come from the North of England, a little mining town called Crook, enjoy your modelling and also SOS,

Best regards John,

View attachment 184904View attachment 184905View attachment 184906View attachment 184907View attachment 184908View attachment 184909View attachment 184910
it's looks beautiful model, well done :)Thumbsup
Hello from another retired Brit who started building Mary Rose in May. We seem to have reached the same stage in the same time.
I'm just doing the walkway (behind you there) but I have fitted the gun port lids.

Back