Hello from Upstate New York

My name is Frank Julian and I live in Troy, NY, (east central NY near Albany).

I am brand new to shipbuilding and am searching for a "first" kit to start. I posted about that last week: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/tools-and-jigs.5723/ and appreciate all of your responses. I am interested in aircraft scale modeling and wooden model ship building. I am new to both hobbies having only completed a couple planes and no ships.

I am a retired MSgt (1994) serving over 22 years in the United States Air Force. Among other jobs while in the Air Force I worked as an instructor in Telephone Maintenance and at the Community College of the Air Force as a Program Administrator for Electronics and Telecommunications. I held a number of other interesting jobs since retiring from the USAF to include Quality Control at Micron Technology, Pastoral Associate at two different Catholic Churches, Veterans Representative for the NY State Department of Labor and I just recently retired (for good) from the National Guard Bureau where I managed Tuition Assistance for the NY State Army National Guard. The problem here, I guess, is I just cant hold on to a job (LOL).

With all of that said, I am very much enjoying working with my model planes and certainly looking forward to getting started with model shipbuilding.

To be honest with you I got interested in model ship building after watching a dozen or so videos of Bobby Walden (Genessis-Models) doing a step-by-step build of the Deagostini HMS Victory. Here is the link:
in case you are interested. I am sure this is not new news to most of you but I was intrigued. He is an awesome craftsman and I am thoroughly enjoying his site. I have always loved the beauty and workmanship of large wooden sail ships.

I am married (25 years - not my first), have 4 children, 2 stepchildren, 4 grandkids (one more on the way), 2 dogs and 2 cats.

That's me in a nutshell. probably too much information but I do have a lot of time on my hands with being retired and with the pandemic. Because I have to use oxygen for COPD I have to stay quarantined a little more then others so I don't go out much leaving a lot of time to work on my models.

Thanks for the opportunity to be part of the group, I am looking forward to what the future has to bring in this phase of my life.

Frank

Hello Frank....
I remember you.!! (From another post..!! :))
Welcome to SOS. Lots to do and see around here. Pull up a chair and sit for a spell. Do a little reading. Do a little thinking. Lots of good folks around here. Can answer lots of questions.!! (You know, if you ever have any.. ;))
Oh... Thanks for the link.!! I am gonna go over there and see what's going on.!!

Again, welcome...

Welcome to the Crew Frank, I too have the lovely COPD, not on oxigen yet though.
I do hope you are enjoying your time here, as Howard said theres many good folk to get
to know and lots of help when you need it. I know you want to jump into a Victory but
those are very very complex. You may want to whet your teeth on something easier and cheaper.
Many mistakes with the first ship or 5...lol

If I may I'd like to suggest a very friendly and helpful hobby shop from Texas. They ship very fast,
help if you need something, and Al there is a really good guy.

Take a look at the Occre Polaris, looks like an easy build with lovely lines.

Hello Frank....
I remember you.!! (From another post..!! :))
Welcome to SOS. Lots to do and see around here. Pull up a chair and sit for a spell. Do a little reading. Do a little thinking. Lots of good folks around here. Can answer lots of questions.!! (You know, if you ever have any.. ;))
Oh... Thanks for the link.!! I am gonna go over there and see what's going on.!!

Again, welcome...
Thanks Howard,

I spent most of the day yesterday looking through the forum mostly in the Tools and Jigs area. This is a great site...I am looking forward to getting started with a ship, but it will be a while before that happens. thanks again,

Frank

Welcome to the Crew Frank, I too have the lovely COPD, not on oxigen yet though.
I do hope you are enjoying your time here, as Howard said theres many good folk to get
to know and lots of help when you need it. I know you want to jump into a Victory but
those are very very complex. You may want to whet your teeth on something easier and cheaper.
Many mistakes with the first ship or 5...lol

If I may I'd like to suggest a very friendly and helpful hobby shop from Texas. They ship very fast,
help if you need something, and Al there is a really good guy.

Take a look at the Occre Polaris, looks like an easy build with lovely lines.
Thanks for the link Clair, I added it to my favorites and I like your two feline helpers in your current build link.

Frank

My name is Frank Julian and I live in Troy, NY, (east central NY near Albany).

I am brand new to shipbuilding and am searching for a "first" kit to start. I posted about that last week: https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/tools-and-jigs.5723/ and appreciate all of your responses. I am interested in aircraft scale modeling and wooden model ship building. I am new to both hobbies having only completed a couple planes and no ships.

I am a retired MSgt (1994) serving over 22 years in the United States Air Force. Among other jobs while in the Air Force I worked as an instructor in Telephone Maintenance and at the Community College of the Air Force as a Program Administrator for Electronics and Telecommunications. I held a number of other interesting jobs since retiring from the USAF to include Quality Control at Micron Technology, Pastoral Associate at two different Catholic Churches, Veterans Representative for the NY State Department of Labor and I just recently retired (for good) from the National Guard Bureau where I managed Tuition Assistance for the NY State Army National Guard. The problem here, I guess, is I just cant hold on to a job (LOL).

With all of that said, I am very much enjoying working with my model planes and certainly looking forward to getting started with model shipbuilding.

To be honest with you I got interested in model ship building after watching a dozen or so videos of Bobby Walden (Genessis-Models) doing a step-by-step build of the Deagostini HMS Victory. Here is the link:
in case you are interested. I am sure this is not new news to most of you but I was intrigued. He is an awesome craftsman and I am thoroughly enjoying his site. I have always loved the beauty and workmanship of large wooden sail ships.

I am married (25 years - not my first), have 4 children, 2 stepchildren, 4 grandkids (one more on the way), 2 dogs and 2 cats.

That's me in a nutshell. probably too much information but I do have a lot of time on my hands with being retired and with the pandemic. Because I have to use oxygen for COPD I have to stay quarantined a little more then others so I don't go out much leaving a lot of time to work on my models.

Thanks for the opportunity to be part of the group, I am looking forward to what the future has to bring in this phase of my life.

Frank
Welcome aboard. Have only been here a couple of weeks myself. Working (slowly) on a Corel Lines model of the Mayflower.

Welcome to SoS forums!

I am also MSgt Rey USAF!

Look at home page posts, I think there was a link to a thread about first time builders!

Suggest if you are thinking of a specific kit before you buy do a search of the ships name and see if anybody else has posted about it. May give you ideas on difficulty level

Many first timers jump to a very difficult kit because they like the finished product and don’t realize it may be a 18-36 month project for a master builder!

Hey, Frank! A B-52 Mac wing nut here. I’m a noob too. Jumped in to a USS Constitution at 1:100 scale. It’s a little simplistic so the rigging won’t be ultra complex. It is a fairly big model, though, and the work is tiny. Before it’s over, I will have tied more than 1500 knots. But it’s quite satisfying, and my blood sugar has gone down since I started. The link to my log is below my signature. Happy modeling!

Welcome aboard. I also remember you from your other posts on tools and jigs. And yes, there are a lot of us USAF wingnuts here. Only served one hitch - but then it was back in the Viet-Nam days and I just didn't feel like sticking around. Good to have you here.

Welcome to SoS forums!

I am also MSgt Rey USAF!

Look at home page posts, I think there was a link to a thread about first time builders!

Suggest if you are thinking of a specific kit before you buy do a search of the ships name and see if anybody else has posted about it. May give you ideas on difficulty level

Many first timers jump to a very difficult kit because they like the finished product and don’t realize it may be a 18-36 month project for a master builder!

Thanks for the advice Kurt....glad to see another AF retiree.

This site is overwhelming with the amount of information and assistance available. It, I am sure, will be invaluable to my experience.

Frank

Hey, Frank! A B-52 Mac wing nut here. I’m a noob too. Jumped in to a USS Constitution at 1:100 scale. It’s a little simplistic so the rigging won’t be ultra complex. It is a fairly big model, though, and the work is tiny. Before it’s over, I will have tied more than 1500 knots. But it’s quite satisfying, and my blood sugar has gone down since I started. The link to my log is below my signature. Happy modeling!

Your build looks great. I am glad it lowers your blood sugar...I'm anticipating my blood pressure increasing with all of the detail...LOL

Frank

Back