Hello, I am a new member, Don Jayne. I have been building boats for 20 some years mostly radio controlled.

I have just acquired a vintage Sterling Model of the Yacht America, in reading the build details I discovered that there is no mention of the ballast needed. I would like to know if anyone has run into a similar problem and what they did to remedy the problem.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

First I guess that the necessary ballast depends on the material and the location and weight of your used RC-equipment in the hull.
when everything is prepared and the centreboard / sword is installed, I would install a weight "bomb" out of lead, which can be adjusted
Testing of the trim with the waterline in the bathtub and add some weights for final trim inside the hull

060.jpg 015.jpg

Do not forget, that you will add with the deck, mast and sails some additional weight

BTW: a beautiful RC-sailing ship model

I have just acquired a vintage Sterling Model of the Yacht America, in reading the build details I discovered that there is no mention of the ballast needed. I would like to know if anyone has run into a similar problem and what they did to remedy the problem.
Hallo @Donj42
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hallo @Donj42
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back