Hello!

Hi!
I'm a 3D renderer who normally works in architectural visualization. I've been out of work since the quarantine started, so I decided to make a computer model of a tall ship to pass the time. Reading through some forum posts for ideas, I became awestruck by the skill and artistry in some of the builds on this site. Since I've never built a physical model of a ship, I've mostly just created this account to follow some of the build logs I started reading, though maybe someday...
Thanks for all of the great content!
-Avery

Hello Avery,
Welcome to the forum.
I am an architect myself and things slowed down in our part of world too.
There are great modellers here and I am humbled by the quality of their work.Lot to learn here!
Daniel

Hi!
I'm a 3D renderer who normally works in architectural visualization. I've been out of work since the quarantine started, so I decided to make a computer model of a tall ship to pass the time. Reading through some forum posts for ideas, I became awestruck by the skill and artistry in some of the builds on this site. Since I've never built a physical model of a ship, I've mostly just created this account to follow some of the build logs I started reading, though maybe someday...
-Avery
A warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Please look around and ask questions where ever helpful for you.
And maybe once you can show us the work on the tall ship ....

Hi!
-Avery
Hallo Avery alias @chromium852
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hi!
-Avery
Hallo @chromium852
Birthday-Cake

Welcome to our Forum.
Your 3-D skills are very usefull in ship modeling, I wish I had that knowledge, it would have save me many hours of scratch building.

Welcome to our Forum.
Your 3-D skills are very usefull in ship modeling, I wish I had that knowledge, it would have save me many hours of scratch building.
Thanks Bluebeard!
I don't know how useful my 3D skills are. There is still so much I have to learn. I worked on my model for about a month, and got pretty far. However, I realized after a certain point that the blueprint I was following had major issues with distortion that I had failed to correct. I had some assumptions about the geometry of the decks that were very off base. At that point, it would be basically impossible to correct the error and modelling around it would become progressively more difficult as I added detail. However, I did get far enough to get some interesting images. Perhaps I will try again and spend more time vetting my materials.

cam_003_230306.jpg
cam_000_230306.jpg
cam_001_230306.jpg
cam_002_230306.jpg

All I have to work with is a bunch of wooden sticks, a few tubing and lots of files to create whatever I need.

Hi!
-Avery
Hallo @chromium852
Birthday-Cake

Back