Hello

After looking at some of the build logs, I decided to join SOS because it looks like a great resource of info with some awesome craftsmanship by many. I’m not new to model building or wood working, but fairly new to ships! I built and flew RC planes in the past. I decided a few years ago to build my first ship and decide to purchase the Norske Love by Billing Boats as my first endeavor. I had no idea as a rookie that a single plank hull required more craftsmanship than a double plank. I just thought it would be less work...lol.
Luckily I bought a book on planking hulls and the hull is painted white from the water line down, which allows for some minor filling to hide some imperfections. I am posting a pic of my last progress, the beginning of the standing rigging and forward stays, etc. I jumped off the deep end as it were...sigh. The rigging is very intimidating to say the least, not being familiar with ships. But it has been a challenging project. Two years in, I realize the amount of work and time goes above and beyond anything I have done previously.
I am taking the time to back track and build the Cazador Xebec by Occre and it is currently on order. It has less rigging, although different, will be less work to finish. Also there is a great build log I can follow! I hope to build the San Felipe one day after I get more experience.
That’s it for now.
Regards,
Dean

B761C481-F381-4D99-A728-E7237D54BB8B.jpeg

Dear Dean
welcome aboard :) Thumbsup
I'm glad you chose to join us,
indeed we are happy to share our knowledge and experience, and all this in a friendly atmosphere and with a smile.:):)
The model you are building is very beautiful, we would be happy if you attach pictures of the construction process so far.
Good luck in fulfilling your dreams in the field of model building in general and with San Felipe in particular

Dear Dean
welcome aboard :) Thumbsup
I'm glad you chose to join us,
indeed we are happy to share our knowledge and experience, and all this in a friendly atmosphere and with a smile.:):)
The model you are building is very beautiful, we would be happy if you attach pictures of the construction process so far.
Good luck in fulfilling your dreams in the field of model building in general and with San Felipe in particular
Thank you, unfortunately I do not have any build pics. In fact I have very few pics at the moment, just of my current progress.
But I do plan to log my future builds, with many pics. I will start a build log on the Cazador Xebec once I receive it.
I learned a few things the hard way on my first attempt, as to be expected, and I took a few liberties on the paint scheme, etc. But overall it’s not a bad first effort.

Hallo Dean,
also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
I am looking forward to see your work in the building log Thumbsup

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and compliments. I posted a build log...however it’s more of a kit review than a build log. I did add more pics. But unfortunately my ship suffered a horrible fate during a recent move! It’s beyond repair and I’m devastated, but also looking forward to the new build. I will build another Norske Love, as I am fond of that ship. But for now...it’s on to the Cazador Xebec by OcCre for something different.

Last edited:
Back