Help Identify the ship in this painting

While browsing an antique shop in Toronto I came across this gem for $35. I think It's a clipper ship but I don't know what one. I've also looked up the artist W.Hughes but couldn't find this painting in his known works. It's a reprint and it has some damage and the frame is in rough shape.

Now I want more paintings like this :cool:

20220418_130847.jpg

Clipper, or at least full rigged merchant ship would be correct.
Certainly not Cutty Sark as she was built with split topsails, so you'd have to look at earlier ships, before 1850.

While browsing an antique shop in Toronto I came across this gem for $35. I think It's a clipper ship but I don't know what one. I've also looked up the artist W.Hughes but couldn't find this painting in his known works. It's a reprint and it has some damage and the frame is in rough shape.

Now I want more paintings like this :cool:

View attachment 304029
W Hughes was an alias for C Hjalmar Amundsen. An original would be around 400US. Usually titled 'A Wndjammer in a ....etc' or something similar without the ship being identified, so possibly a generic tea clipper. Thermopylae didn't have a figurehead as far as I remember. It's not Cutty Sark's figurehead, Ariel has a more ornate bow, so I guess Taeping?

I think it's a Clipper without a specific identity. The artist simply reproduced an impressive image that he kept in his memory, mixing features from various ships of the time.

W Hughes was an alias for C Hjalmar Amundsen. An original would be around 400US. Usually titled 'A Wndjammer in a ....etc' or something similar without the ship being identified, so possibly a generic tea clipper. Thermopylae didn't have a figurehead as far as I remember. It's not Cutty Sark's figurehead, Ariel has a more ornate bow, so I guess Taeping?
Thermopylae also does not match because of her split topsails, so Ariel too
the rig of Taeping is more of a match, although many pictures show her with scrolls on the bow
i would also vote for the generic boat

Back