Help in California!

Hello all,

I need the help of the modelers community living in California! :)

I built for a friend a Bleriot XI identical to the one I presented here. It is a 1/10th scale model from the Amati kit.
I am French, and I live in France. When I sent the model to my friend, I took absolutely every precaution to pack it in a parcel made by me, extremely solid, and protected the Blériot in tissue paper, bubble wrap, polystyrene chips, etc... In a big double box of a triple cardboard made for furniture, reinforced inside by wooden frames!
We had chosen a decent carrier for the USA (UPS) which cost a certain amount of money.

But this was without counting on the brutality of the customs (fr or US), or of the different transport drivers... We do not know yet, no return to the claim filed with UPS.
The plane arrived with important damages... To the great sadness of my friend and myself, of course.

I would need someone living near Santa Barbara to diagnose the damage and evaluate the repairs.
If any of you feel brave enough to do this, then send me a PM and we'll work out the details together.

Thanks in advance! :cool:

The largest group of ship modelers in California is the "Ship Modelers Association" located in Southern California. I am a member of this group but I don't think I have the skill set to evaluate the damage of the model. I would suggest that you or your Friend contact Harmon Ward who is the President (HJW AT PACKBELL dot Net) of the group. he may be able to direct you to a member who is willing to help out.

web site for the group : https://www.shipmodelersassociation.org/index.html

Jim Nunn

Dear Gilles,

I hope you are well.

I sent you e-mail messages on May18, 2021 and June 9, 2021 and received no response from you.

Are you having any success in recovering reimbursement for the damage with the UPS shipping insurance claim?

Best regards,
Larry Dighera

I'm bringing up this topic to give some good news. It's quite exceptional, but after months of persistence in France on my side and in the USA on Larry Dighera's side (who had received this completely broken Blériot), the totality of the insurance for damage was paid to Larry by UPS ! The reimbursement includes not only the shipping cost, but also the total cost of the model and the assembly work.
It's quite exceptional to get this result: carriers never reimburse individuals, even in case of insurance...
It doesn't fix the Blériot, but at least Larry didn't lose anything! We had to harass them since April ! :cool: :mad:

I'm bringing up this topic to give some good news. It's quite exceptional, but after months of persistence in France on my side and in the USA on Larry Dighera's side (who had received this completely broken Blériot), the totality of the insurance for damage was paid to Larry by UPS ! The reimbursement includes not only the shipping cost, but also the total cost of the model and the assembly work.
It's quite exceptional to get this result: carriers never reimburse individuals, even in case of insurance...
It doesn't fix the Blériot, but at least Larry didn't lose anything! We had to harass them since April ! :cool: :mad:
This are very good news - many thanks to share this positive information

Back