Help on "capping" stage in amati mayflower 1:60

Help needed as to what wood strip to use for captioned.model. Neither the Instruction manual nor the table/plans indicate which wood strip to use. Tried contacting amati sales for help but no response whatsoever. This will be my past purchase with amati.

Screenshot_2022-03-28-14-34-20-11_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

IMG20220328143252.jpg

IMG_20220328_143231.jpg

on my mayflower i painted the caps over the stem area black. you may have to cut the strips to the proper width before bending them to fit. if you are painting them just use basswood if not use the wood of your choice. i built my ship from plans only so i dont know what wood the kit provided.

Is there a parts listing which tells you how many part #60's are in the kit? This may tell you what the material is or maybe it specifies the dimension of part #60. Then you could find all parts that size and hopefully figure out what piece makes sense. I see parts #61-63 are 1x4mm. Does the diagram tell you the size of #60?

Usually a kit would provide a piece of bending birch for part #60 where it curves on the beakhead. It is soft and bends easily, but if you soak it in water and place it in a concave form and apply heat with a hot iron, it bends a lot more. Part #60 has two bends in each piece for the beakhead. An electric hot iron can be obtains from Model Expo or Modelers Central. Sometimes you can get away with soaking the part in water for 20 minutes, an carefully pressing it into a form to give it the shape you want, hold it there with a series of clamps, and let it dry, and it will mostly stay in the desired shape. If you don't have bending birch wood, linden can work because it has a small grain and can take bends also.

Back