Help on copper hull plate cut

Hi to All,
I’m building the Amati Pegasus and this is my first serious model that I’m trying to build. I have finished the first part and now I’m coppering the hull, but i have substitute the standard furniture included in the kit with a most detailed plates. Because they are ticker I have found difficulties to proper cut them with the right tool , and in all my research I was not able to find tool or technics than allow me to have a sharp cut line.

so i ask your help to solve this first important issue.

thank you and have a nice Sunday

Gabriele

Last edited:
Thanks Bryian for your reply.
This is actually what I’m doing and this is the best one that I‘ve tried.
It is not easy sharpen the border at the water line but with patience I’ll try to finish it.

With cutting the copper plates with a sharp scalpel along a steel ruler, it is also necessary to flatten the edges afterwards

Thanks Uwek , in the next days I’ll try also your solution. It is really a challenge for me this first time with copper plate!

Thanks Bryian for your reply.
This is actually what I’m doing and this is the best one that I‘ve tried.
It is not easy sharpen the border at the water line but with patience I’ll try to finish it.
The waterline edge of the copper plating would usually be covered with a strip of narrow beading (strake?) to cover the edge and prevent it from peeling off.

Thanks Ian,
i saw several model and found also that. I don't see in the building instruction that solution, but really can help on correcting little mistakes.

I will valuate at the end of the coppering how to proceed.

Thanks Uwek , in the next days I’ll try also your solution. It is really a challenge for me this first time with copper plate!
What I forgot to mention.
Do not try to cut with only one pass with the scalpel - only using slight pressure and pass several times....

Thanks Ian,
i saw several model and found also that. I don't see in the building instruction that solution, but really can help on correcting little mistakes.

I will valuate at the end of the coppering how to proceed.
Although this example is not coppered the timber beading (edge) is there to make a clean line between wind and water.
b7f4bf40b8eade9c665766155f52fa16.jpg

Hi to All,
I’m building the Amati Pegasus and this is my first serious model that I’m trying to build. I have finished the first part and now I’m coppering the hull, but i have substitute the standard furniture included in the kit with a most detailed plates. Because they are ticker I have found difficulties to proper cut them with the right tool , and in all my research I was not able to find tool or technics than allow me to have a sharp cut line.

so i ask your help to solve this first important issue.

thank you and have a nice Sunday

Gabriele
I used a paper guillotine to cut the copper sheet.

Attachments

• 20191025_103647.jpg
    20191025_103647.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20191012_105842 (1).jpg
    20191012_105842 (1).jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20191012_105829 (1).jpg
    20191012_105829 (1).jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 43
I use a paper cutter. A small (usually 12” long) paper cutter with a cutting slide. I mark the length of the copper I need for the plate on the cutter with a bit of masking tape…slide the copper strip under the cutter…slide the cutter across…and I have a cut plate. The picture is an example of what I use. They are normally very inexpensive. This is how I cut several thousand plates for my Constitution model.

718+p-7IDcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

20210912_123131.jpg

Bow of HMS Diana.
The plates I cut with a good supply of scalpel blades and a steel ruler. The batten was added prior to the plates which were then cut to fit. Truth be this batten is actually plastic, has I couldnt get the 1x1mm batten to lay flat and it wanted to twist. Least it be said though I am happy with yhe result.
Sarge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all the other suggestions, i'm actually working with scissor and i'm getting a good result for these first time.
When i have finished and clean i'll post a picture of the Pegasus.
The HMS Diana looks amazing, hope that next ship i'll master the coppering like they way you made.

Dear all,
finally I have found 5 minute to send you some pictures (not very nice i need to take them better in the future) and I just need to clean all,and substitute some pieces to have a better shining result.

I’m still working on the bow just to have a better finishing for the borders.

Need to develop my technical skill but at the end as first time i can be satisfied .

feel free to comment and suggest , it is important for me to increase knowledge to built better future models.

thank for you support.
Gabri

Attachments

• 68DE7767-970A-4449-BA9F-B66A76A19F43.jpeg
    68DE7767-970A-4449-BA9F-B66A76A19F43.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 3AA5D0C8-8AEC-4F41-A468-1E4BC221106E.jpeg
    3AA5D0C8-8AEC-4F41-A468-1E4BC221106E.jpeg
    318.1 KB · Views: 13
And this is a better one. Continuing to clean the residual glue.

Attachments

• 96FA3BB1-396E-464C-ABDF-332B79DD0464.jpeg
    96FA3BB1-396E-464C-ABDF-332B79DD0464.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 7
feel free to comment and suggest , it is important for me to increase knowledge to built better future models.
Themselves asked for ROTF
Gabri, for the first time you got the experience. This is not necessary for the future. The enclosure must be carefully prepared before installing the copper sheathing. In this photo you have some kind of shelves in the keel and sternpost area. The outer sheathing in these places should be in line with the keel and sternpost. The dimensions of your copper plates are huge, the scale of your model is clearl3AA5D0C8-8AEC-4F41-A468-1E4BC221106E.jpeg
I am confused by the top line of the copper sheathing that runs along the waterline. As far as I know, it fit entirely along this line. Small ships usually had it in one row, some in 2 rows or more. Here you need to focus on the documents on the ship itself that you are building, or on prototypes from that period.
96FA3BB1-396E-464C-ABDF-332B79DD0464.jpeg

thanks Alexander,
the first time it was really complicated.

i have changed the copper plate from original because of poor furniture in the kit, and I didn’t found the correct scale, so you are right.

about the shelve I have chosen the wrong way, without sanding properly the wood.

for the water line I’ll check the position.

thank you for your suggestions
gabri

Back