Help on how to proceed with the 17th English Galleon planking

I am building the Medici galleon Livorno renovated by the Englishman Robert Dudley in 1607. Here is the photograph of the bow view with a wale strip installed and a second slat in the main half frame (the central one). The strips are 4 mm.
I want to make the planking with a single layer.
Now how should I proceed with wrapping the part between the 2 strips already placed ?

vista-2-listelli-1.jpg

vista-2-listelli-2.jpg

vista-2-listelli-3.jpg

Last edited:
I thought of the following strategy: I measure the space between the 2 lime strips (4mm wide) on the second ordinate and on the central one (the eighth). in the eighth ordinate I place the strip at its maximum width, while on the second ordinate the same lime strip will be thinned. With the maximum width of the lime strip, I will have 12 strips on the ordered octave. On the second frame, I can lay 12 lime strips 3.2 mm wide. With the same procedure I perform the calculation from the eighth ordinate (the central one) towards the 15th ordinate (the stern one). In your opinion, is the procedure correct? Is there a better way to plank the galleon?

Thanks dockattner, I had seen two of the documents you indicated to me: simple hull planking..., planking primer admiralty... . However, I didn't have hull planking hints & tips. I also saw Chuck Passaro's paper: Lining Off your hull for planking. These teach you how to bandage the hull by creating strips from a sheet of wood.

Attachments

• 01-Lining Off your hull for planking.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 92
Thanks dockattner, I had seen two of the documents you indicated to me: simple hull planking..., planking primer admiralty... . However, I didn't have hull planking hints & tips. I also saw Chuck Passaro's paper: Lining Off your hull for planking. These teach you how to bandage the hull by creating strips from a sheet of wood.
Yes, Mr. Pessaro has a fine planking document which I could not access from work... His approach is the accepted standard with the 'bands' and measurements for thinning of individual planks at bulkhead stations just as you described. Best of luck! His is the approach I used on my current project (kingfisher).

Don’t be afraid to draw pencil lines on the hull to help you guide the in-between planks. This will help tell you how and where to shape each plank. Also, planning each plank width will ensure that the final plank which closes the gap will not appear too wide or too narrow and look out of place next to the other planks. Don’t fret if your first hull planking job has problems. Planking takes practice, and the next model will be two times better. Believe it!

Thank you DARIVS ARCHITECTVS, dockattner for your advice. Could you explain to me (perhaps with a photo) what a "contemporary model" consists of ? (Forgive me for my bad English, I use google translator).

Back