Help, Which one to build?????

I do have a lot of kits to build but which one should I start first. I bought and bought and am still buying different kits. I have almost finished my Panart Pinta. I have had to order some more walnut dowels because I wasn't paying attention while tapering the dowel with the drill and sandpaper and before I realized it the mast was totaled. I have started on The Black Falcon but set that one to the side because I am trying out some other wood for planking that did not come with the kit and it seems to be working better. The kits that I would like help on which one to start on are,
Corsair Americain by MGS 3 of these kits, Arrow American gun boat by Amati
USS Constitution by Mamoli 2 of these kits, The Surprise by Mamoli
Lynx by Panart, Victory 1/78 by Panart
HMS Beagle by Mamoli, Victory 1/78 by Sergal
Halifax by Mamoli, Oseberg 720 by Billing Boats
Mayflower by Model Shipways, Mayflower by Mamoli
Harvey 1847 by Artesania, Swift 1805 by Artesania old kits
Black Falcon by Mantua 1 new kit 3 old kits, Chaperon by Model shipways
Pride of Baltimore by Model Shipways, CSS Alabama by Mamoli
America and America 2 by Mamoli, Harriet Lane by Model Shipways 2 of these kits
I also have the Norske Love by Billing Boats, The Rattle Snake
I have other odd ball ship kits but this is the main bulk of the kits. Now I know that I dont have the knowledge that yall have that I why I am asking which one would be good to start on next. I will be finishing my Pinta once the dowels come in. But with me having 1 lung and now broken toes I stay inside most of the time and I have to be doing something. Please let me know what you think and why. Also if there is anyone that lives some what close to me can you please drop me a message. Thanks

Last edited:
Jim
My wife would have a field day with you. That’s a lot of kits! I get reminded fairly often that I have 4 ships in various stages of construction.
The only one I have knowledge of is the Rattlesnake. I didn’t find the instructions overly helpful.
I suggest searching this forum for build logs of the kits you have listed. Then if you get stuck you can refer to the log for information and inspiration.
Hope this helps a little bit.
John

I second what Whiskers said. Start with the kit that seems to have the best instructions. With what you learn on that model, you can fill in the gaps that the instructions have in other kits. Plus, each model you make will get better as you build from experience. So, if you have a favorite, try and save that one for last so it will also be the best of the lot. After that many kits, you will be super confident on making corrections, additional details, and even full blown alterations based on your own ship research. You might even want to take on a full scratch build after a couple kits, if you want to go that way, since it is 80% research and information gathering, and 20% actual fabrication.

Jim
My wife would have a field day with you. That’s a lot of kits! I get reminded fairly often that I have 4 ships in various stages of construction.
The only one I have knowledge of is the Rattlesnake. I didn’t find the instructions overly helpful.
I suggest searching this forum for build logs of the kits you have listed. Then if you get stuck you can refer to the log for information and inspiration.
John
John,
I take it that your wife tells you that you have to many models also. To tell you the truth I do have more wooden ones and we dont even what to think about the plastic ones. I can really open a model store. But I thank you for your input. I believe I have picked one. I have been looking and reading a lot on different builds. I will be looking up the Rattlesnake when I build mine. Thank you

Jim,
I’m can relate to your dilemma. I think we’ve all been there at one time. We see a shelf full of new kits and think gee, what a great model I think I’ll build it. This of course is when you’re frustrated with your current build.
Where does it stop? It stops when you have a shelf of unfinished models. My recommendation is to take a step back, a deep breath and finish the current project.

Maybe you should scroll through existing building logs in our forum, so you can get an impression of the work (and partly problems) of your kits (green arrow)

you can also directly search for exisiting building logs (red arrow)
Screenshot 2022-08-11 085020.png

Hi Jim,

Thats a ship load of ships. You can allways sell the double ones.
My wife is already getting nervous when I am building two models at the same time :)

If you consider to sell you can do that here, orherwise you have to open your modelstore and then you don t have time to build one.

If I were you I would start with the one which is most appealing to you, if you get stucked there are here allways plenty people to help you.

I do have a lot of kits to build but which one should I start first. I bought and bought and am still buying different kits. I have almost finished my Panart Pinta. I have had to order some more walnut dowels because I wasn't paying attention while tapering the dowel with the drill and sandpaper and before I realized it the mast was totaled. I have started on The Black Falcon but set that one to the side because I am trying out some other wood for planking that did not come with the kit and it seems to be working better. The kits that I would like help on which one to start on are,
Corsair Americain by MGS 3 of these kits, Arrow American gun boat by Amati
USS Constitution by Mamoli 2 of these kits, The Surprise by Mamoli
Lynx by Panart, Victory 1/78 by Panart
HMS Beagle by Mamoli, Victory 1/78 by Sergal
Halifax by Mamoli, Oseberg 720 by Billing Boats
Mayflower by Model Shipways, Mayflower by Mamoli
Harvey 1847 by Artesania, Swift 1805 by Artesania old kits
Black Falcon by Mantua 1 new kit 3 old kits, Chaperon by Model shipways
Pride of Baltimore by Model Shipways, CSS Alabama by Mamoli
America and America 2 by Mamoli, Harriet Lane by Model Shipways 2 of these kits
I also have the Norske Love by Billing Boats, The Rattle Snake
I have other odd ball ship kits but this is the main bulk of the kits. Now I know that I dont have the knowledge that yall have that I why I am asking which one would be good to start on next. I will be finishing my Pinta once the dowels come in. But with me having 1 lung and now broken toes I stay inside most of the time and I have to be doing something. Please let me know what you think and why. Also if there is anyone that lives some what close to me can you please drop me a message. Thanks
USS Constitution is my vote

I second what Whiskers said. Start with the kit that seems to have the best instructions. With what you learn on that model, you can fill in the gaps that the instructions have in other kits. Plus, each model you make will get better as you build from experience. So, if you have a favorite, try and save that one for last so it will also be the best of the lot. After that many kits, you will be super confident on making corrections, additional details, and even full blown alterations based on your own ship research. You might even want to take on a full scratch build after a couple kits, if you want to go that way, since it is 80% research and information gathering, and 20% actual fabrication.
Darvis Thank you. I will in the long run build one from scratch buy that is a long way off.
USS Constitution is my vote
Jack lol Thank you. I have built the plastic Constitution 1/96 scale and I have 2 more plastics to do or to sell. I remember the rigging. When I did her I was young and dumb. Now I am old and very slow to jump on it. I am going to open one up and see if I am ready to start her. Truthfully I hadnt even thought about the Constitution so Thank you for making me think about her.

Jim,
I’m can relate to your dilemma. I think we’ve all been there at one time. We see a shelf full of new kits and think gee, what a great model I think I’ll build it. This of course is when you’re frustrated with your current build.
Where does it stop? It stops when you have a shelf of unfinished models. My recommendation is to take a step back, a deep breath and finish the current project.
Whiskers, I have the wood dowels on order and now it is the waiting game for my Pinta. I am also keeping a eye out to buy another one of these kits. It is a Panart kit and I enjoyed it. So I am going to finish her. I just need to get others started because as you know you can not work on the same model for hours unless you are doing the rigging. Thanks

Hi Jim,

My wife is already getting nervous when I am building two models at the same time :)

If you consider to sell you can do that here, orherwise you have to open your modelstore and then you don t have time to build one.

If I were you I would start with the one which is most appealing to you, if you get stucked there are here allways plenty people to help you.
Maarten, Thank you for that information. I have picked out the American Gunboat to work on now and I am reading up on the others on here. I figured the gunboat would be a quick, nice build and after reading it I found out I was right. I am going to be starting the frame work for a larger one, which one I do not know. Thank you and take care

Hi Jim hope you start a build log on it.
Lots of fun, sure you will have that.
Well Maartin I didnt on this one because it is a fast build ship. There really isnt that much to her. I have decided my next one I will once I learn how to do it. My next one will be the Corsaire Americain by MGS. Thank you for bringing that up to me. I am not good on computers but I am slowly learning and remembering stuff on this site. My stroke has set me back bad. Thank you and take care

Hi Jim,

This is, I think, the best advice. The key to finishing projects is to pick projects that inspire you.

I'd go with the Pride of Baltimore. If it's anything like the other Model Shipways kits I've built, it has excellent plans and thorough, well-written instructions.
Something that's sorely missed on my current build.

Plus it looks cool.

I'd go with the Pride of Baltimore. If it's anything like the other Model Shipways kits I've built, it has excellent plans and thorough, well-written instructions.

Plus it looks cool.
I'm (very slowly) in the midst of building that one and it really is a good kit. The plans are first rate, almost too detailed, if that's a thing.
I'm prejudiced, mind you, since I've actually sailed on her as guest crew which was amazing. The Baltimore Clippers were wonderful ships-- fast and versatile and led to the development of the later larger clippers.

Jim
John
I agree with Whiskers, find the best insturctions in toerms of clarity and detail with good drawing for each stage, and woe rk on ONLY ONE kit at a time until completed before starting the next model. Rather that going thorugh each kit that you have, simply because I do not have experience with any of them, may I suggest a simple way to proceed after you have built the first kit, due to it's superior intstructions, would be to build the remaining kits in date order ot the orginal ship, oldest first. It is an easy decision to make and will not be dependent upon sixe, time, or difficult analysis of each kit.

Good luck with all of them, you will be busy for quite a few years. My first ship model, Endeavour, took me 18 years to complete!

I have to agree with those that say Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways plans are always good and their guarantee as good as it gets. Since you have experience with that ship by sailing on her it will bring back many memories both by building her and enjoying the finished results.

Plus it looks cool.
Thank you I have decided on a nice large one that I have been finding a pretty good amount of information on. The Corsaire Americain by MGS is looking really good. The Pride of Baltimore is right up front in its blue box so I will be building it soon. Now I just need to figure out the Build log thingy and the picture taking. My misses is getting volunteered for that. lol. Thank you and take care

Last edited:
Back