Help with cooper plates

I am new at this and struggling, after thirty years as a surgeon now retired to build model boats like my father. I am working on a vanguard. I am allergic to regular superglue so have to use foamless. I put the cooper plates on but there is glue residue on plates and whenever I try to clean, polish I just make it worse, lots of green residue, and plates snag and get loose with my wipe cloths,, I really would like a nice smooth shiny cooper finish, but feel like I am spinning my wheels, have tried bravo, and dremel polish wheels.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 52
i am not sure what foamless is, maybe a glue that works on foam? it sounds like the glue is not holding to the copper if it gets loose when it snags
to remove the residue maybe you need a solvent to clean the copper like Acetone but that might seep under the copper.
there is a product i have used and it removes just about anything. Maybe very fine 000 steel wool there are other hacks to remove glue residue like vinegar and salt, WD40, alcohol, lemon juice and salt, wood ash will all clean copper

goo gone.JPG

Last edited:
By the way some green copper verdigris are desired on these plates as this is what they are in life. They would quickly deteriorate and being replaced on a few year (may be decade, I do not know) basis. What is for sure they never stayed shiny for any long while.

I am not sure what type copper you are using for your plates. One option is to borrow from the stained glass hobby and get the adhesive backed copper tape. It comes as a large coil of copper tape. You cut the tape into the lengths of the copper plate you need, use a pincer wheel to simulate rivets, remove the paper backing, then stick to the hull. In my experience, given a clean dust free surface, these plates stay down evenly and nicely. The models I have done copper plating using this type copper tape are still pristine after many years. The down side is the cutting of the individual plates and using a pounce wheel on each to simulate rivets. Tedious but rewarding with no glue residue to clean.

Sponsored Ad - Wolfride 3 Pack Copper Foil Tape for Stained Glass 3 Sizes Copper Foil Tape with Double-Sided Conductive fo...

To my eye, the copper plates are too shiny. when the coppering is done, I overpaint them with a thin mix of white, green, and black paint. It takes off the shine and shows some aging and use. Lou

To my eye, the copper plates are too shiny. when the coppering is done, I overpaint them with a thin mix of white, green, and black paint. It takes off the shine and shows some aging and use. Lou
Newly applied copper plates will indeed show up as bright and shiny. There are several options fo change that as one would desire...what you did is indeed one great option! Well done! There are solutions available that ages copper to a green patina. I have actually heard of vinegar used (vinegar is a light acid). There are acrylic paints that are an "aged copper" colour...dilute and wipe on as you did...or brush on and wipe off leaving the colour in the cracks and crevices...a technique called "antiquing." Another option, and one that I used on my Constitution build, is to simply wait and let time oxidize the bright copper a whee bit to a more dull, aged, appearance.

By the way some green copper verdigris are desired on these plates as this is what they are in life. They would quickly deteriorate and being replaced on a few year (may be decade, I do not know) basis. What is for sure they never stayed shiny for any long while.
I am agree with your comment
Copper turns green with natural oxidation.
Many modelers want their model lining to turn green soon.
It occurs to me that a dilution the glue you use rubbed on the liner might give a good result. :D
But first you have to rehearse outside the model

I am new at this and struggling, after thirty years as a surgeon now retired to build model boats like my father. I am working on a vanguard. I am allergic to regular superglue so have to use foamless. I put the cooper plates on but there is glue residue on plates and whenever I try to clean, polish I just make it worse, lots of green residue, and plates snag and get loose with my wipe cloths,, I really would like a nice smooth shiny cooper finish, but feel like I am spinning my wheels, have tried bravo, and dremel polish wheels.
Hey traumadoc, I'm in your boat--Retired general surgeon just floundering around -- the hands won't stay still.
I'm sure you used to quote Voltaire just like we did-- "Perfect is the enemy of good"

I am not sure what type copper you are using for your plates. One option is to borrow from the stained glass hobby and get the adhesive backed copper tape. It comes as a large coil of copper tape. You cut the tape into the lengths of the copper plate you need, use a pincer wheel to simulate rivets, remove the paper backing, then stick to the hull. In my experience, given a clean dust free surface, these plates stay down evenly and nicely. The models I have done copper plating using this type copper tape are still pristine after many years. The down side is the cutting of the individual plates and using a pounce wheel on each to simulate rivets. Tedious but rewarding with no glue residue to clean.

Sponsored Ad - Wolfride 3 Pack Copper Foil Tape for Stained Glass 3 Sizes Copper Foil Tape with Double-Sided Conductive fo...
What a fantastic idea,!!
Steviedean

Hey traumadoc, I'm in your boat--Retired general surgeon just floundering around -- the hands won't stay still.
I'm sure you used to quote Voltaire just like we did-- "Perfect is the enemy of good"
Well retired fellas, building ship models is awesome but, building scale flying balsa stick and tissue rubber powered models is a wonderful side diversion WHILE building a ship !!!
Try it!
Find Aerowerkes DPC models on the web along with joining the flying aces club.
A wonderful experience for the mind, fingers (ya know body)....and soul !
I'm retiring at the end of the year, I turn 60 in November, I have beautiful wife, shop, home and stash of kits to build.......
Have a great week fellas!!
Steviedean

I've never copper plated any model as of yet but used paint instead. Several years ago I completed the old yellow box Model Shipways Volante and wanted the worn copper color. I asked the staff at Michaels for the correct acrylic color of the Statue of Liberty and was told "sea mist". It was perfect.

Hallo @traumadoc
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back